Resources for Understanding Newton's Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica

In summary, the speaker is reading a book and is looking for resources or assistance. They have a limited background in physics and mathematics but are confident in their ability to understand the book. They are struggling with some of the terminology used in the book and are seeking recommendations for modern texts to supplement their learning.
Brazil
Hello,

I am presently reading this book, and was wondering if anybody knows of any tutorials or resources that could assist me in the reading of this book. Possibly (hopefully) some of you have read the book and would be willing to answer some questions?

I have very little in the way of formal physics or mathematics background, but I am self-taught in a number of areas, and have confidence in my ability to understand this book. I have read the first 20 pages and understand most of it. I am working my way through at a very slow pace, but I am grasping it.

Thanks for replying with any resources or suggestions you have.

Physics news on Phys.org
Good luck. That is a pretty tough place to start learning physics.

The way Newton expresses some things is not the way we say them today. One example that I recall is that he uses the term "the subduplicate ratio" to mean the square root of a quantity. That sort of terminology gap makes things more difficult than they need to be.

So, read Principia if you just want to be able to say that you have read Principia. Read a modern text if you want to learn basic mechanics.

Hello,

It's great to hear that you are interested in reading Newton's Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica! This is a very complex and important work in the history of science, and it's not surprising that you may need some additional resources to help you understand it better. Here are a few suggestions that could be helpful:

1. Online tutorials or lectures: There are many online resources available that provide tutorials or lectures on Newton's Principia. You can search for them on YouTube, Coursera, or other online learning platforms. These resources can provide a more visual and interactive approach to understanding the concepts in the book.

2. Study guides or companion books: There are also study guides or companion books available that can help you better understand the content of the Principia. These books often provide explanations, examples, and practice problems to reinforce your understanding.

3. Join a study group or discussion forum: You can also try joining a study group or online discussion forum where you can ask questions and discuss the content of the book with others who have read it. This can be a great way to get different perspectives and clarify any confusion you may have.

4. Consult with a physicist or mathematician: If possible, you could also reach out to a physicist or mathematician for guidance and clarification on any specific concepts or equations in the book. They may be able to provide additional insights and explanations that can help you better understand the content.

Overall, reading Newton's Principia can be a challenging but rewarding experience. With some additional resources and support, I am confident that you will be able to grasp the concepts and ideas presented in the book. Keep up the good work and don't hesitate to reach out for help when needed. Good luck!

Related to Resources for Understanding Newton's Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica

1. What is "Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica"?

"Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica" (or "Mathematical Principles of Natural Philosophy") is a work published by Sir Isaac Newton in 1687. It is considered one of the most influential scientific books ever written and is known for its groundbreaking theories on motion and gravitation.

2. What topics are covered in "Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica"?

The book covers a variety of topics related to motion, including Newton's three laws of motion, the concept of inertia, the law of universal gravitation, and the mathematical principles behind these concepts. It also delves into other areas such as fluid dynamics and the motion of celestial bodies.

3. Why is "Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica" important?

"Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica" is important because it revolutionized the way we understand the physical world. Newton's laws of motion and the law of universal gravitation provided a unified explanation for a wide range of phenomena and laid the foundation for modern physics. It also influenced the development of calculus and other branches of mathematics.

4. Are there any resources available for understanding "Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica"?

Yes, there are many resources available for understanding "Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica". These include annotated versions of the original text, study guides, and online lectures and courses. There are also books and articles that provide historical context and analysis of the work.

5. Can anyone understand "Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica"?

The book is written in Latin and uses complex mathematical equations, so it may be challenging for those without a strong background in mathematics and physics to understand. However, there are resources available to help make the concepts more accessible. Additionally, the main ideas and theories presented in the book have been widely studied and explained by scientists and scholars, making it possible for anyone to gain a basic understanding of the principles outlined in "Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica".