Resources for pi-N scattering?

In summary, the person is looking for books or resources where they can learn about measurement of cross-section, cross-section asymmetry, and polarization in the context of pion-neutron scattering, but they are not finding what they are looking for in books written between 1960 and 1980. They would appreciate if someone could point them in the right direction.
maverick280857
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for books or resources where I can read about things like measurement of cross section, cross-section asymmetry and polarization in the context of pion-neutron scattering, but also more generally in particle physics.

By measurement, I don't mean experiments alone, but rather how the theoretical tools of density matrix and scattering matrix are employed here. I am able to find scattered references of some of these things in some books on quantum field theory, but in books such as Griffiths, Halzen and Martin, and Perkins, there is no mention of these methods.

Specifically, if the 2 x 2 scattering matrix has the form,

[tex]T = f + i g \boldsymbol{\sigma}\cdot\boldsymbol{n}[/tex]

then what is the cross-section, polarization, and cross-section asymmetry? How does one define these quantities in terms of T (I know how the cross-section is defined), and what is the physical significance of polarization here? I've been reading Landau and Lifgarbagez vol 4 for this, but I don't think I have a good understanding of these ideas.

I would appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction. I do understand that the problem is to reconstruct f and g, because the quantities go as |f|^2 + |g|^2, |f|^2 - |g|^2, Re(fg*) and Im(f*g). I just want to read about all this in some detail. Are there books which talk about this?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is an old book by Sam Lindenbaum that should be what you need.
Look for elementary particle books written between 1960 and 1980.

Krane nuclear physics perhaps

Källen?

ansgar said:
Krane nuclear physics perhaps

Källen?

Which is the book by Källen? I couldn't find any on Amazon.

I went through the Nuclear Physics book by Krane...good book, but not very useful for what I'm trying to figure out.

Any ideas? This must be mentioned somewhere...right?

maverick280857 said:
My college library doesn't have this book. :frown:

That's what interlibrary loan is for. :smile:

jtbell said:
That's what interlibrary loan is for. :smile:

I don't know what that is, and it certainly won't help me, given my geographical location.

If you are aware of more recent (and hence more easily accessible) books where such things would be discussed, please do let me know.

maverick280857 said:
I don't know what that is,

It means your library can get the book for you from some other library that does have it. The other library ships the book to your library, you pick it up there, return it there, and they ship it back.

Ask your library's staff about it. They might even have an interlibrary loan request form on their web site.

[Added] I just realized that you might not be in the USA. Nevertheless, your library may have access to a similar facility for sharing books among libraries in your country.

Last edited:
There were literally hundreds of Ph.D theses done on pion-nucleon scattering. Many can be fornd in APS journals like Physical Review. Do a search in http://publish.aps.org/search/query for title and abstracts. I found 213 articles for pion, nucleon, scattering in the title, and pion, proton, scattering in the title. You can find Physical Review in many research libraries.

Bob S

Bob S said:
There were literally hundreds of Ph.D theses done on pion-nucleon scattering. Many can be fornd in APS journals like Physical Review. Do a search in http://publish.aps.org/search/query for title and abstracts. I found 213 articles for pion, nucleon, scattering in the title, and pion, proton, scattering in the title. You can find Physical Review in many research libraries.

Bob S

Thanks Bob S. There are indeed many articles on the Physical Review on pion-nucleon scattering. But right now, all I want to understand is

(a) what is cross-section asymmetry
(b) how are f and g used to recover the polarization and the cross-section asymmetry

This is not for a research project, but rather for an introductory undergraduate course on particle physics I'm taking right now. I tried finding review articles which might explain these things, but I couldn't find anything.

I managed to find the book by Kallen. I'm going through it now.

Related to Resources for pi-N scattering?

1. What is pi-N scattering?

Pi-N scattering refers to the scattering process between a pion (pi) and a nucleon (N), which can be a proton or a neutron. It is an important phenomenon in nuclear and particle physics, and understanding its properties can provide insight into the structure of hadrons and the nature of strong interactions.

2. Why is pi-N scattering important?

Pi-N scattering plays a crucial role in our understanding of the fundamental forces that govern the behavior of subatomic particles. It can provide information about the internal structure of nucleons and the dynamics of their interactions, which is essential for developing theories and models of the strong nuclear force.

3. What are some resources for studying pi-N scattering?

There are several resources available for studying pi-N scattering, including textbooks, research papers, and online databases. Some useful resources include "Pion-Nucleon Scattering" by Ian Aitchison and Anthony Hey, the Particle Data Group's Review of Particle Physics, and the SAID database for pi-N scattering data.

4. What are some current research topics in pi-N scattering?

Current research in pi-N scattering includes studying its properties at high energies and exploring its connection to other fundamental processes, such as pion photoproduction and pion-nucleus interactions. Other topics of interest include investigating the role of spin and isospin in pi-N scattering and exploring the potential of using pi-N scattering as a tool for studying the structure of hadrons.

5. How is pi-N scattering measured?

Pi-N scattering can be measured using various experimental techniques, such as scattering experiments with high-energy beams of pions and nucleons, and photoproduction experiments using high-energy photons. These experiments involve detecting and analyzing the particles scattered in the collision, which can provide information about the scattering process and the properties of the particles involved.