Resonant frequency of a human body

In summary: In an open pipe, the air pressure is greater on the open side, and this causes a standing wave. The height of the standing wave is proportional to the square of the air pressure. In a covered pipe, the air pressure is the same on both sides, so the wave is reduced in height.
shpresa
Does anyone know why the resonant frequency of a grounded human is smaller when ungrounded?

Physics news on Phys.org
shpresa, Welcome to Physics Forums!

Will you please give more information? What is the driving frequency causing the human body to resonate? Can you give some example of your experiment? What is the source of your question?

I once consulted on a project to kill insects some engineers were working on. Their idea was to bombard flies with high power acoustic frequencies that would cause their bodies to resonate so strongly they would literally explode. Our experiments showed it did not matter if the flies were in flight or resting on a leafy surface. Their little bodies exploded when irradiated with our sound beam in either case. We may infer from this experiment that the resonant frequency of the human body remains the same, whether grounded or not.

Cheers,
Bobbywhy

Bobbywhy said:
shpresa, Welcome to Physics Forums!

Will you please give more information? What is the driving frequency causing the human body to resonate? Can you give some example of your experiment? What is the source of your question?

I once consulted on a project to kill insects some engineers were working on. Their idea was to bombard flies with high power acoustic frequencies that would cause their bodies to resonate so strongly they would literally explode. Our experiments showed it did not matter if the flies were in flight or resting on a leafy surface. Their little bodies exploded when irradiated with our sound beam in either case. We may infer from this experiment that the resonant frequency of the human body remains the same, whether grounded or not.

Cheers,
Bobbywhy

Maybe he's talking of EM resonance? That'll be different from acoustic right?

Well there is no experiment. This was a question my professor asked me.
All I know is that one can find the resonant frequency of a body based on its height using the following formula:

f=114/h (MHz)
where f is the resonant frequency, h is the height of the person in meters. Now this resonant frequency has a higher value when the person is not standing with his feet on the ground, that means the resonant frequency is smaller when the person is grounded or standing with his feet on the ground.
Sorry for my English, hope you could understand my question.

Yes I guess its about EM resonance since we learned this from Bioelectromagnetics course...

Bobbywhy said:
Our experiments showed it did not matter if the flies were in flight or resting on a leafy surface. Their little bodies exploded when irradiated with our sound beam in either case. We may infer from this experiment that the resonant frequency of the human body remains the same, whether grounded or not.

Not necessarily. If you had been trying to break their legs by resonance rather than explode their body, it would have made a huge difference if they were standing on something (i.e. the body mass supported by 6 springs), or in flight.

FWIW there is a huge literature on the effect of mechanical vibration on humans - but we know know that's not what the OP was asking about.

shpresa said:
Yes I guess its about EM resonance since we learned this from Bioelectromagnetics course...

You are not sure? Seems odd.

Anyway, EM resonance of the human body is important in the field of radio frequency dosimetry.

According to my handbook, the average man is 1.75 meters tall, and has a resonant frequency of 80MHz. This is close to, but not exactly the same as, what your formula predicts.

This 80MHz peak causes the average absorption (watts per kg) for a given incident power density to be 10 times higher than at 1MHz or 200MHz.

Why would resonant freq be smaller for grounded human?
Here is a clue, see if you can figure it out:

The 80MHz resonance from dosimetry handbook (and your formula) are based roughly on the human body resonating as a dipole.

What kind of resonator are you if you ground your feet?

Last edited:
the_emi_guy said:
You are not sure? Seems odd.

According to my handbook, the average man is 1.75 meters tall, and has a resonant frequency of 80MHz. This is close to, but not exactly the same as, what your formula predicts.

Interesting. That ought to be VHF transmissions, right?

Ah, you mean grounded in the sense "standing on the ground". Consider a standing wave along the length of a human body. If you are standing on the ground, and your shoes are sufficiently damping, then your feet are a node. If you are hovering in the air, then your feet don't need to be a node.

Compare a blowing a pipe with one end covered versus an open pipe.

Related to Resonant frequency of a human body

What is the resonant frequency of a human body?

The resonant frequency of a human body refers to the natural frequency at which a human body vibrates. It is unique to each individual and can be affected by various factors such as height, weight, and body composition.

How can the resonant frequency of a human body be measured?

The resonant frequency of a human body can be measured by using a specialized machine called a resonance frequency analyzer. This machine emits sound waves of varying frequencies and measures the response of the body to determine its resonant frequency.

What are the potential benefits of knowing one's resonant frequency?

Some proponents believe that knowing one's resonant frequency can help to improve overall health and well-being. It is also thought to be useful in identifying potential health issues and monitoring the effectiveness of treatments.

Can the resonant frequency of a human body be altered?

Yes, the resonant frequency of a human body can be altered through various methods such as sound therapy, meditation, and energy healing. However, there is limited scientific evidence to support these claims.

Is there a connection between the resonant frequency of a human body and music?

While some studies have shown that music can have a positive impact on the human body's resonant frequency, more research is needed to fully understand this connection. It is also worth noting that each individual's response to music may vary and is not solely dependent on their resonant frequency.