Resonance Structures for a Certain Molecule

In summary, the conversation is about a question from an exam where a TA removed one point out of seven for a reason that is unclear. The person is asking for help deciphering the red writing on the question, which is illegible to them. They also mention that the TA may be referring to formal charge or a value of 8 or 6. They are hoping for a full answer or additional information to help them understand the question.
alingy1
Here attached is a question from my exam. My TA removed 1 point out of 7 for a reason. Can anyone decipher for what? There's the writing in red but it is illegible to me. I don't understand to what he refers by 8 and 6 t or +, or whatever he wrote.

http://imgur.com/igpyp8V

Or can anyone write a full answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

My guess on what he wrote is "bad all have fc (formal charge)". I hate it when the markers writing is illegible.

My reading is "but all have 8t". I don't know what t is but he has written 6t on some structures and 8t on others. :confused:

As a scientist, it is important to always provide clear and accurate explanations for any data or information presented. In regards to the resonance structures for a certain molecule, it appears that there may be some confusion or misunderstanding regarding the notation used by the TA.

Based on the image provided, it appears that the TA removed 1 point out of 7 for unclear notation or labeling. The writing in red is difficult to decipher, but it seems to suggest that there is an issue with the use of 8 and 6 in the notation or possibly the use of a plus sign. It is unclear what the TA is specifically referring to, but it is important to clarify any notation or labeling in order to accurately represent the data and ensure a clear understanding for others.

In order to provide a complete answer, it would be helpful to have more information about the specific molecule and the resonance structures being discussed. However, in general, when representing resonance structures, it is important to clearly label any charges, bond orders, or electron movements. This can be done using symbols such as arrows or using different colors or fonts to differentiate between different structures.

In conclusion, it is important to carefully review and clarify any notation or labeling used in scientific work to ensure clear communication and accurate representation of data. If there is any confusion or uncertainty, it is always best to seek clarification from the TA or instructor to ensure the best possible understanding and accuracy.

Related to Resonance Structures for a Certain Molecule

1. What are resonance structures?

Resonance structures are different representations of a molecule or ion that have the same arrangement of atoms but differ in the placement of electrons.

2. How do you determine the major resonance structure?

The major resonance structure is determined by evaluating the stability of each structure. The more stable a structure is, the more it contributes to the overall resonance hybrid.

3. What is the significance of resonance structures?

Resonance structures help to explain the stability and reactivity of a molecule or ion. They also provide a more accurate representation of the electron distribution in a molecule.

4. Can resonance structures be used to predict the properties of a molecule?

Yes, resonance structures can be used to predict properties such as bond length, bond strength, and molecular geometry. They can also help to explain the observed reactivity of a molecule.

5. Why do some molecules have multiple resonance structures?

Some molecules have multiple resonance structures because their Lewis structures do not accurately represent the distribution of electrons. Resonance structures allow for a more accurate representation of the molecule's electron distribution.