Resonance states and complex energies

In summary, the problem of resonance states can be understood in two different ways in quantum mechanics and quantum field theory. In quantum mechanics, the resonances are described as complex energy poles due to the wavefunction of the unstable state extending to infinity and causing a change in the boundary condition. However, this contradicts the proof that eigenvalues of a Hermitian operator must be real. In quantum field theory, the resonances are described as complex mass poles due to loop corrections resulting in imaginary masses of intermediate particles. The derivation of the S-matrix in non-relativistic quantum mechanics can provide a better understanding of resonance scattering.
ismaili
I'm reconsidering the problem of resonance states.
We know that the resonances in QM are described as the complex energy poles in the scattering amplitude. In the version of QFT, the resonances are described by the complex mass poles of the scattering matrix.
In QFT, I can understand that the masses of intermediate particles develops imaginary masses from loop corrections.
But in the case of QM, I don't quite understand the situation. I read from a book that because the wavefunction of the unstable state extends to infinity. Hence the boundary condition changes (different from bound state's), that's why the complex energy. (The complex energy is still the eigenvalue of the Hamiltonian.)
But I remember that we can prove that the eigenvalues of a Hermitian operators are always real. Like the following proof in the braket language,
from
[tex] A|a'\rangle = a'|a'\rangle [/tex] and [tex] \langle a''|A = a''^*\langle a''| [/tex]
where [tex] A [/tex] is an Hermitian operator and [tex] a',a'' [/tex] are its eigenvalues.
We times the first equation with [tex] \langle a''| [/tex], the second equation with [tex] |a'\rangle [/tex], then substract,
[tex] \Rightarrow (a' - a''^*)\langle a''|a'\rangle = 0 [/tex]
now we select [tex] a' = a'' [/tex], then we conclude that [tex] a' [/tex] is real.
So, eigenvalues of a Hermitian operator must be real.

In short, my question is,
(1) is the complex energy of resonance in QM the eigenvalue of Hamiltonian?
(2) If (1) is true, then how to explain the breakdown of the proof I wrote above?

Thanks for any ideas.
Sincerely

Physics news on Phys.org
answer

(1): No

malawi_glenn said:
answer

(1): No
thanks!
So...the complex energy poles are...? :shy:

Have you gone through the derivation of the S-matrix in non relativistic quantum mechanics?

malawi_glenn said:
Have you gone through the derivation of the S-matrix in non relativistic quantum mechanics?

Actually I haven't gone though the detailed derivation of the S-matrix in non-relativistic quantum mechanics.
I briefly glanced over the section about resonance in Sakurai's book just now.
Do you mean that the resonance energy is the eigenvalue of the sum of the Hamiltonian and the "centrifugal potential?" So, the resonance energy is not the eigenvalue of the Hamiltonian.
But in this way, the sum of Hamiltonian and the centrifugal potential is a Hermitian operator too. Hence the eigenvalues must be real, isn't it?
Could you hint me the key ideas of how to develop the imaginary part of the resonance complex energy?
Thanks.

Sakurais book is not good for theory of resonance scattering, at least if you want to do it with S-matrix etc.

Have I implied all the things you are asking for? The resonance is a peak in the cross section.

The Scattering chapter of Merzbacher is quite good.

Anyway, in sakurai, you'll see that the resonance energy is obtained by doing a local taylor expansion of cot(delta_l). But you have already assumed the existence of a resonance etc, so its not so good for resonance scattering as I mentioned.

Related to Resonance states and complex energies

What are resonance states?

Resonance states refer to the quantum mechanical phenomenon in which a particle or system of particles is in a state of unstable equilibrium, resulting in a prolonged and amplified response to an external force. This can occur when the energy levels of the system match those of the external force, causing the system to oscillate or vibrate.

What are complex energies in the context of resonance states?

Complex energies are a mathematical representation of the energy levels of a quantum system, including resonance states. In this representation, the energy levels are complex numbers, with a real part representing the physical energy of the system and an imaginary part representing the lifetime or decay rate of the system.

How are resonance states and complex energies related?

Resonance states are characterized by complex energies, as they represent the unstable equilibrium of the system. The imaginary part of the complex energy represents the lifetime or decay rate of the resonance state, while the real part represents the energy of the state at which resonance occurs.

Why are resonance states and complex energies important in quantum mechanics?

Resonance states and complex energies are important in quantum mechanics because they help explain the behavior of unstable systems and provide insights into the underlying physical processes involved. They are also crucial in many applications, such as understanding the behavior of particles in particle accelerators or predicting the stability of atomic nuclei.

How are resonance states and complex energies experimentally observed and measured?

Resonance states and complex energies can be observed and measured through various techniques, such as spectroscopy and scattering experiments. These techniques involve bombarding the system with particles or radiation and analyzing the resulting energy levels and decay rates to determine the presence and properties of resonance states and their corresponding complex energies.