Resonance - rlc series circuit

In summary: If you know these things and the values of l and w, you can solve for the voltage across the inductor.
anand raj

Homework Statement

in series rlc circuit maximum voltage across inductor occurs at which frequency?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In the series rlc circuit current through the inductor is maximum at the resonance frequency.
But I don't know whether at resonance frequency maximum voltage occurs or not or it occurs at below or above resonance frequeny

Physics news on Phys.org
The equations you will fill in under 2 will actually help you give the right answer.

@BvU,
Can you explain in a better way
hate_zps42e29581.jpg

what did you mean by putting in 2?

You make a list of relevant equations under "2. Homework Equations ".
The you show what you do with them under 3. Attempt at a solution.

That way you enable people who want to help you to give you the right assistance.

RLC circuit

@BvU
Since the voltage across inductor is equal to the voltage across the capacitor in magnitude, but out of phase by 180 degrees,
jwl*i = -(j/(wc))*i
Here i = current, w = frequency, c = capacitor and l = inductor
Does the maximum voltage across inductor occurs slightly below resonant frequency or or slightly above resonant frequency or at resonant frequency?
From my equation, I am unable to get the answer.

anand raj said:
@BvU
Since the voltage across inductor is equal to the voltage across the capacitor in magnitude, but out of phase by 180 degrees,
jwl*i = -(j/(wc))*i
Here i = current, w = frequency, c = capacitor and l = inductor
Does the maximum voltage across inductor occurs slightly below resonant frequency or or slightly above resonant frequency or at resonant frequency?
From my equation, I am unable to get the answer.

You need an equation for the current in terms of frequency.

If you connect a variable frequency AC generator to a series RLC circuit of emf Ug how do you calculate the current, and at what frequency is the current maximum?

How do you get the voltage across the inductor if you know the current flowing through it? ehild

Last edited:

1. What is resonance in an RLC series circuit?

Resonance in an RLC series circuit is a phenomenon where the circuit is able to store and transfer energy between the inductor and capacitor at a specific frequency. At this frequency, the inductive and capacitive reactances are equal, resulting in a maximum current flow through the circuit.

2. How is resonance calculated in an RLC series circuit?

Resonance in an RLC series circuit can be calculated using the formula: fo = 1 / (2π√(LC)), where fo is the resonant frequency, L is the inductance, and C is the capacitance. This formula takes into account the reactances of both the inductor and capacitor at the resonant frequency.

3. What is the significance of resonance in an RLC series circuit?

Resonance in an RLC series circuit is important because it allows for efficient transfer of energy between the inductor and capacitor. This is useful in applications such as filters, where specific frequencies need to be passed or blocked. It also allows for increased voltage and current amplitudes at the resonant frequency.

4. How does the frequency response of an RLC series circuit change at resonance?

At resonance, the frequency response of an RLC series circuit changes significantly. The impedance of the circuit becomes purely resistive, and the voltage and current amplitudes increase. This results in a sharp peak in the frequency response curve at the resonant frequency.

5. What factors can affect the resonant frequency in an RLC series circuit?

The resonant frequency in an RLC series circuit can be affected by various factors. These include the values of the inductance and capacitance, the resistance of the circuit, and the quality factor (Q-factor) of the components. Changes in any of these factors can shift the resonant frequency of the circuit.