Resonance in LC(R) parallel circuit

In summary, resonance in an LC(R) parallel circuit is a phenomenon where the inductive reactance and capacitive reactance cancel each other out, resulting in a maximum current flow through the circuit at a specific frequency known as the resonant frequency. This occurs when the reactive components, inductance and capacitance, are equal to each other, causing the impedance of the circuit to be at its minimum. The significance of resonance in an LC(R) parallel circuit lies in its ability to efficiently transfer energy at a specific frequency, making it useful in various applications such as tuning circuits and filtering out unwanted frequencies. Changes in the values of inductance, capacitance, and resistance affect resonance, with an increase in inductance or capacitance
guest1234

Homework Statement

I did an experiment as followed

Given following circuit
IMG096.png

I measured voltage across capacitor and reciprocal frequency of the generator. espilon, L, C, R, and R_E were given.

In one configuration, R was shorted.

I have to calculate relative frequencies (gamma) (easy - resonance frequency divided by frequency) and relative impedances (zeta); q factors and (absolute and relative) bandwidths. I also have to find a relation between U_C and gamma.

I have no idea whether I did this experiment right - is voltage across capacitor even relevant in this case? What information is possible to extract from this data? What should graphs I vs gamma; U vs gamma; zeta vs gamma look like?

Homework Equations

In my lecture notes, there's this formula

[itex]M(\gamma)=\frac{Z}{Z*}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{1+Q^2(\gamma-\frac{1}{\gamma})^2}}[/itex]

where gamma is relative frequency, Z is impedance, Z* is probably impedance at resonance frequency and Q is ... Q factor.

[itex]I_C=\omega\epsilon{C}[/itex]

where I_C is current in capacitor.

And there's also this thing

[itex]Z=\frac{L}{C}\frac{1}{\sqrt{R^2+(\omega{L}-\frac{1}{\omega{C}})^2}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the last equation is not complete, so I added R_E and experimented with this value. It gave me silly numbers for Q (it clearly didn't match with plot).

I also plotted {U_C, I_C, Z, zeta} vs {frequency, gamma} (all combinations imaginable) and they all looked like typical resonance curves. Not sure about that whether it's a good sign or not..

I fiddled around with my data and found this relation

[itex]U_C=\frac{U_{C,RESONANCE}}{\sqrt{1+Q^2(\omega-\frac{1}{\omega})^2}}[/itex]

If more information is needed (e.g. graphs, example data), I'll provide it.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello, thank you for sharing your experiment and data with us. From your post, it seems like you have a good understanding of the equations and concepts involved in this experiment. However, to answer your questions, I would need to see your data and graphs to better understand your results.

In general, measuring the voltage across the capacitor can be relevant in this experiment as it can give you information about the current in the capacitor, which is related to the impedance and resonance frequency. It's important to make sure your measurements are accurate and consistent, and that you are using the correct equations for your specific circuit.

From your equations, it looks like you are trying to calculate the Q factor, relative frequency, and impedance at resonance. To do this, you will need to use your measured values for epsilon, L, C, R, and R_E. It's possible that your data may not match the expected results due to experimental errors or incorrect measurements. I would recommend reviewing your data and equations to see if there are any discrepancies.

As for the graphs, they should show a resonance curve, with the peak representing the resonance frequency and the bandwidth representing the range of frequencies where the circuit is resonant. The relative impedance should also show a similar curve, with the peak corresponding to the resonance frequency. The relative frequency and relative impedance should have a linear relationship, as shown in your first equation.

In summary, it seems like you have a good understanding of the concepts involved in this experiment, but it's important to review your data and equations to ensure accuracy. If you need further assistance, please provide more information and I would be happy to help.

Related to Resonance in LC(R) parallel circuit

1. What is resonance in an LC(R) parallel circuit?

Resonance in an LC(R) parallel circuit is a phenomenon where the inductive reactance and capacitive reactance cancel each other out, resulting in a maximum current flow through the circuit. This causes the circuit to oscillate at a specific frequency known as the resonant frequency.

2. How does resonance occur in an LC(R) parallel circuit?

Resonance occurs in an LC(R) parallel circuit when the reactive components, inductance and capacitance, are equal to each other. This causes the impedance of the circuit to be at its minimum, allowing maximum current flow.

3. What is the significance of resonance in an LC(R) parallel circuit?

The significance of resonance in an LC(R) parallel circuit is that it allows for efficient transfer of energy at a specific frequency. This is useful in various applications such as tuning circuits and filtering out unwanted frequencies.

4. How is resonance affected by changes in the components of an LC(R) parallel circuit?

Resonance in an LC(R) parallel circuit is affected by changes in the values of inductance, capacitance, and resistance. Increasing the inductance or capacitance will result in a decrease in resonant frequency, while increasing the resistance will broaden the resonant peak.

5. What are some real-life applications of resonance in LC(R) parallel circuits?

Resonance in LC(R) parallel circuits is utilized in various electronic devices such as radios, televisions, and wireless communication systems. It is also used in electric power transmission and distribution systems to improve efficiency and reduce losses.