Resonance in forced oscillations

In summary, the differential equation mx'' + cx' + kx = F(t) with F(t) = F_0 cos(ωt) can have resonance when the denominator of the general solution is equal to 0. This occurs when (k-ω^2m)^2 + ω^2c^2 = 0, which gives a relation between the unknowns but does not take F_0 into consideration. However, F_0 does not play a role in determining resonance, as it is just a scaling coefficient. With damping, the denominator will never be zero, so the aim is to find the "natural" oscillation frequency and make that equal to ω in order to achieve maximum resonance with a
green-beans

Homework Statement

Consider the differential equation:
mx'' + cx' + kx = F(t)
Assume that F(t) = F_0 cos(ωt).
Find the possible choices of m, c, k, F_0, ω so that resonance is possible.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to deal with such problem when there is no damping, i.e. when we ignore cx'. In this case if cx'=0, resonance occurs when ω=k/m. However, now I have damping and as far as I understand resonance will be possible in case of underdamping, so when the complemtary function has complex solutions. My reasoning behind this was that in underdamping we get increasing oscillations (which is kind of the case with resonance). So, I solved the equation with the case of underdamping and resonance should occur when the denominator in my general solution is equal to 0. From what I got if (k-ω2m)2 + ω2c2=0 then resonance should take place. But this gives the relation between the unknowns and it does not take F_0 into consideration. So, I am not sure if I am right to assume ubderdaming and whether the solution is in fact the dependence relation.
P.S. I suspect this is wrong since I did not get a relation for F_0
Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think F_0 should play, since the resonance should only appear when the right hand side is oscillating at the same rate as the homogeneous solution.

green-beans said:

Homework Statement

Consider the differential equation:
mx'' + cx' + kx = F(t)
Assume that F(t) = F_0 cos(ωt).
Find the possible choices of m, c, k, F_0, ω so that resonance is possible.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I solved the equation with the case of underdamping and resonance should occur when the denominator in my general solution is equal to 0. From what I got if (k-ω2m)2 + ω2c2=0 then resonance should take place. But this gives the relation between the unknowns and it does not take F_0 into consideration. So, I am not sure if I am right to assume ubderdaming and whether the solution is in fact the dependence relation.
P.S. I suspect this is wrong since I did not get a relation for F_0
Thanks a lot!
Obviously F_0 does not come into play, it's just a scaling coefficient.
With damping your denominator will never be zero. The idea is to find the "natural" oscillation frequency with damping [which is < √(k/m)], then make that equal to ω. That give you max. oomph per unit F_0.

Related to Resonance in forced oscillations

1. What is resonance in forced oscillations?

Resonance in forced oscillations is a phenomenon in which a system vibrates with greater amplitude at a specific frequency of external force. This frequency is known as the resonant frequency and it can cause the system to vibrate at its natural frequency.

2. How does resonance occur in forced oscillations?

Resonance occurs in forced oscillations when the frequency of the external force matches the natural frequency of the system. This causes the amplitude of the system's oscillations to increase, leading to a phenomenon known as resonance.

3. What are the effects of resonance in forced oscillations?

The effects of resonance in forced oscillations can be both beneficial and detrimental. On one hand, it can lead to amplification of vibrations, which can be useful in applications such as musical instruments. On the other hand, it can also cause unwanted vibrations and damage to structures.

4. How can resonance be avoided in forced oscillations?

Resonance can be avoided in forced oscillations by changing the frequency of the external force or by altering the natural frequency of the system. This can be done through the use of damping mechanisms or by changing the physical properties of the system, such as its mass or stiffness.

5. What are some real-life examples of resonance in forced oscillations?

Some common examples of resonance in forced oscillations include the swinging of a playground swing, the vibration of guitar strings, and the sound produced by a tuning fork. Other examples include the Tacoma Narrows Bridge collapse and the destruction caused by earthquakes and wind-induced vibrations in buildings.