Resolving the Problem: Charging Spheres A and B

In summary, the conversation discusses the redistribution of charge between two identical spheres when they are touched together and then separated. The initial charges on the spheres are -10e and +20e, and the question is what will be the resulting charge on sphere A after touching. Through calculations, it is determined that the net change in charge is +10e, and this will be evenly divided between the two spheres, resulting in a charge of +5e on both spheres. The conversation also discusses a similar problem involving positive charges, where the average charge must be added for the final charge on each sphere.
Air
Homework Statement
Initially, sphere A has a charge of –10e and sphere B has a charge of +20e. The spheres are made of conducting material and are identical in size. If the spheres then touch, what is the resulting charge on sphere A? a) +10e, b) -10e, c) -5e, d) +5e

The attempt at a solution
Sphere B -> [itex]20e-\left(\frac{+20e-10e}{2}\right) = 20e - 5e = 15e[/itex]. So there is a loss of 5e in Sphere B. This would mean that the only -5e remains on Sphere B?

The Problem
However, the answer is +5e. Why is this? There is a loss of 5e in Sphere B. This would mean that the only -5e remains on Sphere B?

Physics news on Phys.org
Air said:
The attempt at a solution
Sphere B -> [itex]20e-\left(\frac{+20e-10e}{2}\right) = 20e - 5e = 15e[/itex]. So there is a loss of 5e in Sphere B. This would mean that the only -5e remains on Sphere B?
No. For some reason, you took the average charge but then subtracted it from Sphere B. Why?

Instead, ask yourself: What's the total charge on both spheres together? Once they touch, how does that total charge divide itself between the two spheres?

Only negative charge moves so only negative changed one should change? After they touch, Sphere B would remain as 20e?

Together, the net change is +10e, but Sphere B contributes more than Sphere A?

Air said:
Only negative charge moves
True.
so only negative changed one should change?
No. If charge moves between spheres, they both must change.
After they touch, Sphere B would remain as 20e?
No.

Together, the net change is +10e,
Right. (That's the equivalent of 10 missing electrons.)
but Sphere B contributes more than Sphere A?
Why?

The two spheres are identical. When they touch, the charge redistributes evenly between the two spheres.

Doc Al said:
True.

That's the equivalent of 10 missing electrons. The two spheres are identical. When they touch, the charge redistributes evenly between the two spheres.

So there is a distribution of +5e on both spheres. If we add this to the previous values (original charge value) then wouldn't we get:

Sphere A: -10e+5e = -5e and not +5e.

:blushing: (Sorry, I'm still confused.)

I think I've understood. I've read this thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=58634

So, the net change from Sphere 1 and 2 is +10e. But, for it to be stabl;e and equlibrium, they must separate equally hence Sphere 1 and 2 will both have +5e charge? Am I correct?

Yes, you are correct.

What actually happens is that 15 electrons will move from A to B in order to equalize the charge distribution, thus:
A goes from -10e - (-15e) = +5e;
B goes from +20e + (-15e) = +5e.

Doc Al said:
Yes, you are correct.

What actually happens is that 15 electrons will move from A to B in order to equalize the charge distribution, thus:
A goes from -10e - (-15e) = +5e;
B goes from +20e + (-15e) = +5e.

Oh I see. Thanks for the help. You've been very patient and helpful. It was encouraging.

The reason that I was getting confused is because in Fundamentals of Physics, Chapter 21, Question 4, you have to use average to find the charge left over in the positive charge. Why is that different?

Air said:
The reason that I was getting confused is because in Fundamentals of Physics, Chapter 21, Question 4, you have to use average to find the charge left over in the positive charge. Why is that different?
If you post that question, I can see what's different.

The figure below shows three pairs of identical spheres that are to be touched together and then seperated. The initial charge on them are indicated. Rank the pair according to (a) the magnitude of the charge transferred during touching and (b) the charge left on the positively charged sphere, greatest first.
Q4C21H.jpg

I understand it now because your post number 7 explain why that works but why does for positive you have to add the average and for negative you have to take away the average?

In all cases the average charge tells you what the final charge on each sphere will be. To find the change in charge, just subtract final - initial.

For case (1) in your last post, you start with +6e and -4e. So the final charge on each will be (+6e -4e)/2 = +1e. Thus the change in charge on left sphere will be: +1e - 6e = -5e (it gained 5 electrons); on the right sphere, it will be: +1e - (-4e) = 5e (it lost 5 electrons).

Make sense? (Since the question asks for the magnitude of the charge transferred, the answer would be 5e.)

Yes, that makes sense. Thanks a million. :smile:

Related to Resolving the Problem: Charging Spheres A and B

1. What is the problem with charging spheres A and B?

The problem with charging spheres A and B is that they have the same charge and are placed in close proximity to each other, causing them to repel each other.

2. How can this problem be resolved?

This problem can be resolved by grounding one of the spheres, which will neutralize its charge and eliminate the repulsion between the two spheres.

3. Why does grounding one sphere resolve the problem?

Grounding one sphere allows excess charges to flow through the ground, leaving the previously charged sphere with a neutral charge. This eliminates the repulsion between the two spheres.

4. Can the problem be resolved without grounding one of the spheres?

Yes, the problem can also be resolved by increasing the distance between the two spheres. As the distance increases, the force of repulsion between the spheres decreases.

5. Are there any potential consequences of resolving this problem?

Yes, if the spheres were being used for a specific purpose, such as a demonstration or experiment, grounding one of the spheres or increasing the distance between them may affect the results. It is important to carefully consider the potential consequences before resolving the problem.