Resolving the Paradox: Net External Work in a Falling Ball-Earth System

• Thread starter EzequielSeattle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Net Work
In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of an expression for the net external work on a system of a ball and the Earth, which is initially held at rest and then dropped. The equations used include W=Fx, W=deltaK, V=mgh, and K=(1/2)mv^2. The confusion arises from the fact that there are no external forces on the system, yet the kinetic energy changes and the potential energy decreases. The question also touches on a similar scenario involving a hand pulling a block connected to a spring away from a wall, with the initial and final velocity of the ball being zero. It is concluded that just because no external work is done on the system, it does not mean that the system cannot
EzequielSeattle

Homework Statement

Consider a system of a ball and the Earth. The ball is held at rest at an initial height, then dropped. Derive an expression for the net external work by external forces on BE.

Homework Equations

W = Fx
W = deltaK
V = mgh
K = (1/2)mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

My confusion from this arises from the following: there are no external forces on the system. Therefore, the net external work of the system should be zero. However, the kinetic energy of the system changes and the potential energy decreases. Because the kinetic energy of the system increases, there should be work done because of W=deltaK. Clearly I'm guilty of a logical fallacy somewhere along the lines, but I'm unsure where.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just because I think this is intrinsically related: a hand pulls a block connected to a spring away from a wall to which the other end of the spring is attached. The initial and final velocity of the ball is zero. Kinetic energy doesn't change as a result. Is the work then zero?

I feel like I'm missing something fundamental here.

That no external work is done on the system does not mean that the system cannot redistribute its internal energy.

Related to Resolving the Paradox: Net External Work in a Falling Ball-Earth System

1. What is the Net External Work Conundrum?

The Net External Work Conundrum is a paradox in physics that arises when calculating the net external work done on an object. This occurs when the net external work is calculated using different reference frames, resulting in different values.

2. How does the Net External Work Conundrum affect our understanding of physics?

The Net External Work Conundrum challenges our understanding of the fundamental laws of physics, such as the conservation of energy and the principle of relativity. It highlights the complexities of calculating work and the importance of considering different reference frames.

3. Can the Net External Work Conundrum be resolved?

There is currently no definitive resolution to the Net External Work Conundrum. However, some approaches have been proposed, such as using an observer-independent reference frame or considering non-conservative forces in the calculation of work.

4. How does the Net External Work Conundrum impact real-world applications?

The Net External Work Conundrum has significant implications for fields such as engineering and mechanics, where accurate calculations of work are essential. It highlights the need for careful consideration of reference frames and the limitations of our current understanding of work.

5. Are there any ongoing research efforts to address the Net External Work Conundrum?

Yes, there are ongoing research efforts to better understand and potentially resolve the Net External Work Conundrum. Scientists are exploring alternative approaches and theories that could provide a more comprehensive understanding of work and its relationship to reference frames.