In summary, the conversation is about solving for the forces P and N acting on an object in equilibrium on an inclined plane with a weight of 10N and an angle of 30 degrees. The methods used include trigonometry and resolving forces into components. The correct values for P and N are 17.32N and 8.66N, respectively. The confusion about N not equaling 10sin60 is due to N being resolved into components and no longer existing as a single force.
Issy04

Homework Statement

Solve for the forces P and N acting on an object in equilibrium on an inclined plane.
Weight=10N, angle is 30 degrees
http://blob:https%3A//www.physicsforums.com/d431a152-5681-411b-ba57-809320539165
upload_2015-11-22_10-13-35.png

Homework Equations

Trigonometry, i.e. sin, cos, tan rules. The 'Z' rule (amongst others) to determine angles.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attempted the problem (as done with similar problems, which were correct) however the answers seem to assume that the angle in solving P is 30.
I have used in the Parallel P=10tan60=17.32N. However the answer is given by 10tan30=5.77N. Is the answer wrong? Or have I made inaccurate assumptions?
upload_2015-11-22_10-16-1.png

In the perpendicular, N=10sin60=8.66N, however this is wrong also! The answer is given by 10/sin60
upload_2015-11-22_10-25-36.png

Thankyou for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Assume a frictionless plane.

Resolve N into X and Y directions and it will become clear.

Likes Issy04
insightful said:
Assume a frictionless plane.

Resolve N into X and Y directions and it will become clear.
The Y component of N is used to support 10N object from moving down vertically. Since we resolve N into components, then there must also be an X component.
Once you resolved N into components, N does not exist anymore but 4 forces acting on the object.

Last edited:
Likes Issy04
azizlwl said:
The Y component of N is used to support 10N object from moving down vertically. Since we resolve N into components, then there must also be an X component.
Once you resolved N into components, N does not exist anymore but 4 forces acting on the object.

Thank you. I have calculated the correct value of P now but I am still confused as to why N does not equal 10sin60, as P has no vertical component?

The resultant of the 10 N force and P must be equal and opposite to N.

upload_2015-11-22_6-54-4.png

Attachments

• upload_2015-11-22_6-51-55.png
    upload_2015-11-22_6-51-55.png
    12.1 KB · Views: 562
Likes Issy04
Issy04 said:
Thank you. I have calculated the correct value of P now but I am still confused as to why N does not equal 10sin60, as P has no vertical component?
Now we try to solve using triangular method since net forces equal to zero.
As you you know you can place the vector, the arrow anywhere, parallel and pointing to same direction.
10N is the base, P is opposite, and N is hypothenus.

Likes Issy04
azizlwl said:
Now we try to solve using triangular method since net forces equal to zero.
As you you know you can place the vector, the arrow anywhere, parallel and pointing to same direction.
10N is the base, P is opposite, and N is hypothenus.
Thank you very much! It is clear now.
ehild said:
The resultant of the 10 N force and P must be equal and opposite to N.

View attachment 92220

Related to Resolving forces in equilibrium on inclined plane

What is an inclined plane?

An inclined plane is a flat surface that is angled or sloped. It is commonly used in physics to simplify the analysis of forces acting on an object.

How do you resolve forces in equilibrium on an inclined plane?

To resolve forces in equilibrium on an inclined plane, you must first identify all the forces acting on the object. These forces include the weight of the object, the normal force from the surface, and any other external forces. Then, using trigonometry, you can break down the forces into their horizontal and vertical components and use the concepts of equilibrium to determine the net force in each direction.

What is the formula for resolving forces on an inclined plane?

The formula for resolving forces on an inclined plane is Fx = F * cosθ and Fy = F * sinθ, where F is the magnitude of the force, θ is the angle of the inclined plane, and Fx and Fy are the horizontal and vertical components of the force, respectively.

What is the difference between static and kinetic friction on an inclined plane?

Static friction occurs when an object is at rest on an inclined plane, and the force of friction is equal and opposite to the force of gravity pulling the object down the plane. Kinetic friction, on the other hand, occurs when the object is in motion, and the force of friction is slightly less than the force of gravity. This is due to the fact that the object is already moving, so the friction force is just enough to slow down the object and keep it from accelerating.

What are some real-world applications of resolving forces on an inclined plane?

Resolving forces on an inclined plane is used in many real-world situations, such as calculating the force needed to push a heavy object up a ramp, determining the necessary angle for a ramp to safely support a car, and understanding the forces acting on a skier going down a slope. It is also used in engineering and construction to determine the stability and strength of structures on slopes or inclines.