Resolve all the Tension into horizontal and vertical forces

In summary: Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2017I think there is information missing. You have three equations and four unknowns (W, T AB , T BC , T CD ). You need one more equation, such as one of the string lengths or the angle between the two strings, to solve for all four unknowns.
masterofthewave124
One end of a chord is attached to the ceiling at D and another to the wall at A. Masses of W kg and 20 kg are attached to the cord so that it assumes the shape shown on the right. Find W and the tension in each of AB, BC, and CD.

http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/9884/forces4zx.jpg

stuck on this question...probably due to the lack of information. these are my thoughts so far: do i want to isolate small areas and solve for the values related to them? for example, taking the point B, tensions BC, AB and the 20 kg are attached to this, do i want to start here? using the values solved, can i proceed to points C and D?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
A good strategy would be to start writing down equations and gradually solving for the unknowns. You'll need information from analysis of several key points. We can start from point B, where you can write an equation in the y-direction. The segment BC sin30 needs to be able to support 20kg. Try a similar analysis at point C. Lastly, try analyzing the entire system. The segment from D sin60 must support W+20kg.

Add up these equations (i.e. solve them simultaneously).

The main thing is to resolve all the Tension into horizontal and vertical forces. And note that the system is in equilibrium.(No net force in vertical and horizontal direction)

By the way what is the ans for W ? i try to do it for the fun of it. :P

Related to Resolve all the Tension into horizontal and vertical forces

What does it mean to "resolve all the tension into horizontal and vertical forces"?

Resolving tension into horizontal and vertical forces means breaking down a single force acting at an angle into its horizontal and vertical components. This allows for a more simplified analysis of the forces involved.

Why is it important to resolve tension into horizontal and vertical forces?

Resolving tension into horizontal and vertical forces allows for a better understanding and calculation of the forces involved in a system. This can help in determining the equilibrium or motion of an object.

How do you determine the horizontal and vertical components of a force?

To determine the horizontal and vertical components of a force, you can use trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. The horizontal component is equal to the force multiplied by the cosine of the angle, and the vertical component is equal to the force multiplied by the sine of the angle.

Can a single force be resolved into more than just horizontal and vertical components?

Yes, a single force can be resolved into any number of components as long as they are perpendicular to each other. For example, a force can be resolved into horizontal, vertical, and diagonal components.

How do you determine the magnitude and direction of the resultant force after resolving tension into horizontal and vertical forces?

To determine the magnitude and direction of the resultant force, you can use the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometric functions. The magnitude is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the horizontal and vertical components, and the direction is equal to the inverse tangent of the vertical component divided by the horizontal component.