Resolution of Optical Instruments Question

In summary, using the thin lens equation and magnification formula, we can determine the distance between the object and the first lens, as well as the distance between the image and the second lens. We can also calculate the image height by multiplying the magnification of each lens together. However, there may be some discrepancies in the calculations due to incorrect sign conventions.
smoics

Homework Statement

A 3.1 cm--tall object is 26 cm to the left of a lens with a focal length of 13 cm. A second lens with a focal length of 8.0 cm is 42 cm to the right of the first lens.

Homework Equations

1/s + 1/s' =1/f
M=-s'/s and I'll have to multiply the two M's together to get the final M.

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew out a ray diagram. Maybe my signs are wrong?? 1/-26 + 1/s' = 1/13. s'=-8.67. This would be to the left of the first lens, so I tried doing 42+ s' and also 42-s' to use in the thin lens equation the second time (As the distance from lens 2), but none of my answers are working...?

Physics news on Phys.org
Calculate the distance between image and the second lens.
and Calculate the image height.

Related to Resolution of Optical Instruments Question

1. What is the resolution of an optical instrument?

The resolution of an optical instrument refers to its ability to distinguish between two closely spaced objects or details in an image.

2. How is the resolution of an optical instrument measured?

The resolution of an optical instrument is typically measured in terms of its spatial resolution, which is the smallest distance between two objects that can be distinguished by the instrument.

3. What factors affect the resolution of an optical instrument?

The resolution of an optical instrument is affected by several factors, including the quality and design of the lenses, the wavelength of light used, and the size of the aperture or opening through which light enters the instrument.

4. Can the resolution of an optical instrument be improved?

Yes, there are several techniques that can be used to improve the resolution of an optical instrument. These include using higher quality lenses, increasing the aperture size, and using shorter wavelengths of light.

5. What is the importance of resolution in optical instruments?

The resolution of an optical instrument is crucial in obtaining clear and detailed images, especially in fields such as astronomy, microscopy, and photography. It allows for the detection of smaller and more intricate details, leading to a better understanding of the observed object.