Resistors in Series, in Parallel

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem involving Kirchoff's Law and Ohm's Law to find the value of Rx. The voltage drop across resistors in parallel is equivalent, leading to the equation Rx=19 as the solution. However, the person is unsure if their reasoning is correct and asks for confirmation.
rabcdred

Homework Statement

See the attached image.

Homework Equations

V=IR, Kirchoff's Law

The Attempt at a Solution

The voltage drop across resistors in parallel are equivalent due to Kirchoffs law (at least I think so?), so V=R(eq,top)I(top)=R(eq,bottom)I(bottom)--> I(top)(52)=I(bottom)(7+Rx)

For each resistor, an equation using Ohm's Law:
V1=I(top)(14)
V2=I(top)(38)
V3=I(bottom)(7)
V4=I(bottom)(Rx)

As the ammeter reads zero, I thought the voltage drop across resistor 1 and 3 were equal, so V1=V3. Rearranging the equation and substituting in the top equation-->
(V/14)(52)=(V/7)(7+Rx), which yields Rx=19.

I don't think this is right though. Please help! Thanks.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-02-13 at 8.41.51 PM.png
    Screen shot 2012-02-13 at 8.41.51 PM.png
    13.4 KB · Views: 435
Physics news on Phys.org
rabcdred said:

Homework Statement

See the attached image.

Homework Equations

V=IR, Kirchoff's Law

The Attempt at a Solution

The voltage drop across resistors in parallel are equivalent due to Kirchoffs law (at least I think so?), so V=R(eq,top)I(top)=R(eq,bottom)I(bottom)--> I(top)(52)=I(bottom)(7+Rx)

For each resistor, an equation using Ohm's Law:
V1=I(top)(14)
V2=I(top)(38)
V3=I(bottom)(7)
V4=I(bottom)(Rx)

As the ammeter reads zero, I thought the voltage drop across resistor 1 and 3 were equal, so V1=V3. Rearranging the equation and substituting in the top equation-->
(V/14)(52)=(V/7)(7+Rx), which yields Rx=19.

I don't think this is right though. Please help! Thanks.

19Ω is a perfect answer - so probably your reasoning is correct too as answers like 19 don't usually appear by co-incidence.

Related to Resistors in Series, in Parallel

1. What is the difference between resistors in series and in parallel?

Resistors in series are connected one after the other, creating a single path for current flow. In contrast, resistors in parallel are connected side by side, creating multiple paths for current flow. This results in different overall resistance values for the two configurations.

2. How do you calculate the total resistance of resistors in series?

The total resistance of resistors in series is calculated by simply adding the individual resistance values together. This is because the current has to flow through each resistor, increasing the overall resistance.

3. How do you calculate the total resistance of resistors in parallel?

Calculating the total resistance of resistors in parallel is a bit more complicated. The total resistance is equal to the reciprocal of the sum of the reciprocals of each individual resistance. In other words, 1/Rtotal = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ...

4. What is the effect of adding resistors in series?

Adding resistors in series increases the overall resistance of the circuit. This means that the current will decrease, as the resistance is directly proportional to the current in a circuit according to Ohm's Law.

5. What is the effect of adding resistors in parallel?

Adding resistors in parallel decreases the overall resistance of the circuit. This means that the current will increase, as the resistance is inversely proportional to the current in a circuit according to Ohm's Law.