Resistors & Heat: Quick Explanation Needed

In summary, the conversation is about the effect of heat on resistors and its impact on a circuit's voltage. The speaker is struggling to remember the reason for controlling heat in an experiment involving resistors and requests a quick explanation. They also mention the concept of Ohms Law in relation to this topic.
merr
I'm doing coursework and i know it's dumb but i just can't remember how heat is supposed to affect resistors *heh* If someone could give me a quick explanation, it's not for the main part of the coursework, it's just a factor i have to controll in another experiment, but i can't remember why i have to controll it! D:

Physics news on Phys.org
thanks, one more question, why would that affect the voltage in a circuit with a resistor?

merr said:
thanks, one more question, why would that affect the voltage in a circuit with a resistor?
Think about Ohms Law.

Related to Resistors & Heat: Quick Explanation Needed

1. What is the purpose of a resistor?

A resistor is an electronic component that is used to resist or limit the flow of electric current in a circuit. It is used to control the amount of current and voltage in a circuit to prevent damage to other components and to achieve the desired level of performance.

2. How does a resistor generate heat?

When electric current flows through a resistor, it encounters resistance, which causes the electrons to collide with atoms in the resistor's material. This collision generates heat energy, which is dissipated through the resistor as heat.

3. What factors affect the amount of heat generated by a resistor?

The amount of heat generated by a resistor depends on its resistance, current flowing through it, and the duration of the current flow. Additionally, the material and size of the resistor also play a role in determining the amount of heat generated.

4. Why is heat dissipation important in resistors?

Heat dissipation is important in resistors because excessive heat can damage the resistor and other components in the circuit. It can also affect the accuracy and stability of the resistor's resistance, which can impact the overall performance of the circuit.

5. How can heat dissipation be managed in resistors?

Heat dissipation in resistors can be managed by using resistors with higher power ratings, using heat sinks or fans to dissipate heat, spacing out resistors to minimize heat accumulation, and using resistors with lower resistance values to reduce the amount of heat generated.