Resistors and Associated Length

In summary, a resistor is an electronic component that resists the flow of electric current and is measured in ohms (Ω). The length of a resistor is directly proportional to its resistance and its tolerance is a measure of how much its actual resistance may vary from its stated resistance. The resistance of a resistor can be calculated using Ohm's Law or the formula R = ρ x (L/A).
Surfersara12
Questions: A certain copper wire has a resistance of 10.0 Ω. At what fraction of the length L must the wire be cut so that the resistance of one piece is 5.0 times the resistance of the other?

What is the resistance of the longer piece? Shorter piece?

I am completely lost on this. i know it should be fairly simple and I think I have to use the equation R= p*l/A

Physics news on Phys.org
Resistance is proportional to length, so you just need one piece to be 5 times the length of the other.

Related to Resistors and Associated Length

1. What is a resistor?

A resistor is an electronic component that is used to resist the flow of electric current. It is typically made of a material with high resistance and is used to control the amount of current flowing through a circuit.

2. What is the unit of measurement for resistance?

The unit of measurement for resistance is ohms (Ω). This unit was named after the German physicist Georg Ohm, who discovered the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance.

3. How is the length of a resistor related to its resistance?

The length of a resistor is directly proportional to its resistance. This means that as the length of a resistor increases, its resistance also increases. This relationship is known as the "length-resistance" rule.

4. What is the tolerance of a resistor?

The tolerance of a resistor is a measure of how much its actual resistance may vary from its stated resistance. It is typically expressed as a percentage and indicates the maximum deviation from the stated resistance.

5. How do you calculate the resistance of a resistor?

The resistance of a resistor can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that resistance (R) is equal to voltage (V) divided by current (I). In mathematical terms, this can be expressed as R = V/I. Additionally, the resistance of a resistor can also be calculated using the formula R = ρ x (L/A), where ρ is the resistivity of the material, L is the length of the resistor, and A is the cross-sectional area.