Resistor Combination: Current and Potential Difference Calculation

In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem with resistor combinations and calculating current and potential difference. Some believe there may be a short circuit, but it is determined that the three resistors are in parallel and the polarities of the battery are incorrect. The conversation ends with a request for someone to calculate the answers.
smaung
Hello,

I have a tricky problem with resistors combination.

please check this url - http://www.disruptedstreets.com/physics.png

Can anybody help me with this?

Thanks

The Question is -

Calculate the Current at Point X and potential difference between points A and B.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
looks to me like R1, R2, R3 are in parallel and the pot. difference between A and B is that provided by the battery.

yes me too

but some said ... there is a short circuit. but i don't know where is it ... :( and that's why I'm confused.

What does "X" represent?

"X" is the current at that point. We need to find the current ( I ) at "X". AND potential difference ( V ) between "A" and "B".

Oh sorry I Forgot. The battery is 2V.

I don't see any short-circuit. But in any case as jablonsky27 has noted, the three resistors are all in parallel. That should simplify the problem tremendously.

yea me too.. but.. there is another fault. the polarities of the battery is wrong .. positive is up and negative is down

can you please calculate the answers for me ?

smaung said:
yea me too.. but.. there is another fault. the polarities of the battery is wrong .. positive is up and negative is down

Turn the paper over.

can you please calculate the answers for me ?

No.

Compute the total resistance, apply Ohms law.

ok thanks.

Related to Resistor Combination: Current and Potential Difference Calculation

1. What is a trick resistor combination?

A trick resistor combination is a setup of resistors used in electronic circuits that allows for precise control of resistance without the need for additional components. It is a technique commonly used in electrical engineering to achieve desired resistance values in a circuit.

2. How does a trick resistor combination work?

A trick resistor combination works by connecting resistors in a specific pattern to create an effective resistance value. By using a combination of parallel and series connections, the total resistance can be manipulated to achieve the desired value.

3. What are the advantages of using a trick resistor combination?

One of the main advantages of using a trick resistor combination is that it allows for precise control of resistance without the need for additional components. This can save space, reduce costs, and simplify circuit design. Additionally, it can allow for a wider range of resistance values to be achieved.

4. What are some common applications of trick resistor combinations?

Trick resistor combinations are commonly used in a variety of electronic devices, such as amplifiers, filters, and power supplies. They are also useful in sensor circuits, where precise resistance values are required for accurate measurements.

5. Are there any limitations to using a trick resistor combination?

While trick resistor combinations can be useful in many applications, they do have some limitations. These include limited precision, as the effective resistance value may not be exact, and the potential for increased power dissipation due to the use of multiple resistors.