Resistivity of conducting putty?

In summary, the individual is looking for the resistivity of conducting putty at room temperature and has been unsuccessful in finding it through Google. They are now asking for assistance from others. A suggested source states that a cylinder of this putty has a resistance of approximately 20 Ohms, but the individual is still unsure of the resistivity value.
Navras
I'm trying to find the resistivity of conducting putty at room temperature and I've been looking all over google with no success. There isn't really anything more I can do to work it out so I'm wondering if anyone here knows. Thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Navras! :smile:
Navras said:
I'm trying to find the resistivity of conducting putty at room temperature and I've been looking all over google with no success. There isn't really anything more I can do to work it out so I'm wondering if anyone here knows. Thanks :)

hmm … you're not very good at using google :redface:

the first hit for "resistivity of conducting putty" is http://www.ibotz.com/conducting-putty.html which says of its product …
A cylinder 60mm long and 20mm in diameter has a resistance of approximately 20 Ohms.​

… so what is the resistivity? :smile:

Related to Resistivity of conducting putty?

1. What is resistivity?

Resistivity is the measure of a material's ability to resist the flow of electric current. It is represented by the Greek letter rho (ρ) and is measured in ohm-meters (Ω·m).

2. How is resistivity different from resistance?

Resistance is a measure of how much a material impedes the flow of electric current, while resistivity is an intrinsic property of the material itself. Resistance is dependent on the length and cross-sectional area of a material, while resistivity is not.

3. What is conducting putty?

Conducting putty is a type of putty that contains conducting particles, such as graphite or carbon, which allow it to conduct electricity. It is often used in educational experiments and circuits.

4. How is the resistivity of conducting putty measured?

The resistivity of conducting putty can be measured using a multimeter and a known voltage source. The putty is formed into a cylindrical shape and its resistance is measured using the multimeter. The resistivity can then be calculated using the formula: ρ = RA/l, where R is the measured resistance, A is the cross-sectional area, and l is the length of the putty.

5. What factors affect the resistivity of conducting putty?

The resistivity of conducting putty can be affected by several factors, including the type and amount of conducting particles present, the temperature, and the pressure applied to the putty. Additionally, the length and cross-sectional area of the putty can also impact its resistivity.