Resistivity of a wire - AS coursework

In summary, the conversation is about an upcoming experiment where the person is unsure of what readings to take using a 100mA ammeter to measure voltage and current. There is confusion about whether the experiment is to measure resistivity or resistance, and it is suggested to use two meters or a resistor to measure both values accurately. The person ultimately managed to complete the experiment successfully.
r0manticide17
Im to do an experiment tomorrow, but I've no idea what kind of readings to take! I am going to be using a 100mA ammeter, to measure voltage and current. The current is to stay constant more or less but I am not sure what ranges of readings I am to take. Anyone help me please? :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
To be clear, will you be using the Ammeter to measure the voltage?

And, is the point of the experiment to measure resistivity, not resistance?

To measure the resistance of something, you need to simultaneously measure the voltage across it and the current through it. You will need two meters for this. Are you going to buddy up in the lab?

berkeman said:
To measure the resistance of something, you need to simultaneously measure the voltage across it and the current through it. You will need two meters for this. Are you going to buddy up in the lab?
An ammeter can be used as a voltmeter if used in conjunction with a resistor of known resistance (preferably large resisitance).

Chi Meson said:
An ammeter can be used as a voltmeter if used in conjunction with a resistor of known resistance (preferably large resisitance).
I know how to use a voltmeter and a resistor together as an ammeter, but I never thought about using an ammeter and resistor as a voltmeter. How does that work? Oh, I get it -- but the resistance of the ammeter degrades the accuracy of the measurement. I guess that's why you said to use a large value of external resistor...

thanks for all your replies, but the practical is now over with. Managed just fine, measured current and voltage, worked out resistance, and will be working out the resistivity of the wire soon enough

Related to Resistivity of a wire - AS coursework

1. What is resistivity and how is it related to a wire?

Resistivity is a measure of how much a material opposes the flow of electric current. In the context of a wire, it refers to the wire's ability to resist the flow of electrons through it. It is directly related to a wire's length, cross-sectional area, and material.

2. How do you calculate the resistivity of a wire?

The resistivity of a wire can be calculated using the formula ρ = RA/l, where ρ is resistivity, R is the resistance of the wire, A is the cross-sectional area, and l is the length of the wire. It is important to use consistent units, such as meters for length and ohms for resistance, in order to get an accurate result.

3. What factors affect the resistivity of a wire?

The resistivity of a wire is affected by its length, cross-sectional area, and material. A longer wire will have higher resistance and therefore higher resistivity. A wire with a smaller cross-sectional area will also have higher resistance and resistivity. Different materials have different resistivities, with some materials being better conductors than others.

4. Why is the resistivity of a wire important?

The resistivity of a wire is important because it affects the wire's ability to conduct electricity. A wire with high resistivity will have more difficulty conducting electricity, resulting in a higher resistance and potentially causing issues in electrical circuits. Understanding the resistivity of a wire is crucial for designing and building efficient and safe electrical systems.

5. How does temperature affect the resistivity of a wire?

In general, as the temperature of a wire increases, its resistivity also increases. This is due to the increased vibration of the atoms in the wire, which creates more obstacles for the flow of electrons. This effect is more pronounced in some materials, such as metals, than others. Therefore, it is important to consider temperature when calculating the resistivity of a wire in order to get accurate results.