Resistive Heating: Approximate Calculation Needed

• Thread starter osmansafa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heating
In summary, the speaker has created a simulation in Comsol for resistive heating using a gold wire and air, but is concerned about the high temperature of 2000 K compared to the ambient temperature of 293 K. They attempted to make an approximate calculation using the heat transfer coefficient formula, but may be missing the effects of thermal conductivity in their model. The heat transfer coefficient is influenced by the thermal conductivity of the medium, such as air having a lower thermal conductivity compared to gold. Additionally, the size of the wire should also be taken into consideration as it affects the thermal conductivity.
osmansafa
Hi all, I have made a simulation of resistive heating in Comsol which is basically a gold wire surrounded by air is exposed to 0.1 V and I got the temperature distribution. The numbers seem really high (The temperature is at 2000 K where the ambient temperature is 293) and I would like to make an approximate calculation. I used the heat transfer coefficient formula (heat transfer coefficient equals heat input over surface area times temp. difference) but the temperature difference is 75 K.
What do I miss here? Thank you in advance.

Science news on Phys.org
You may be missing the effects of thermal conductivity in your model. Heat transfer coefficient is a measure of the rate of heat transfer per unit area, and it depends on the thermal conductivity of the medium. Generally, if you are dealing with air, the thermal conductivity is much lower than that of gold, so the heat transfer coefficient for air will be much lower than for gold. This means that the temperature difference between the wire and the air will be less than the 75K you calculated. You should also consider the size of the wire, as the thermal conductivity will vary depending on its thickness.

Related to Resistive Heating: Approximate Calculation Needed

1. How is resistive heating calculated?

The formula for calculating resistive heating is: P = I^2 * R, where P is power in watts, I is current in amps, and R is resistance in ohms.

2. What is the purpose of resistive heating?

Resistive heating is used to convert electrical energy into heat energy. It is commonly used in appliances such as stoves, toasters, and hair dryers.

3. How accurate is the approximate calculation for resistive heating?

The approximate calculation for resistive heating provides a close estimate, but it may not be 100% accurate due to factors such as changes in temperature and variations in resistance. For more precise calculations, a computer simulation or physical testing may be necessary.

4. Can resistive heating be used for other purposes besides heating?

Yes, resistive heating can also be used for welding, melting metals, and curing materials in industrial processes.

5. What are some potential hazards associated with resistive heating?

Some potential hazards include electric shocks, burns from high temperatures, and fire hazards if the equipment is not used properly or malfunctions. It is important to follow safety precautions and use protective gear when working with resistive heating.