Resistive force at constant velocity freewheeling down a slope

In summary, the car has a mass of 960 kg and is moving down an incline at a constant speed of 9 m/s. The average resistive force acting on the car is 2.4*10^3 N.
ocfx

Homework Statement

Ok so the problem is this: A car of a mass 960kg is free-wheeling down an incline (15 degrees to the horizontal) at a constant speed of 9.0 m s^-1
- Deduce that the average resistive force acting on the car is 2.4*10^3N

Homework Equations

F=ma I suppose, but it hasn't got me anywhere yet really any help would be appreciated.

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated that the force should be F=mg = 960kg*9.81 = 9417.6N. Now I don't see how this will help in deducing the resistive force, but since the velocity is constant the resistive force should balance out any other force acting on it.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
draw a free body diagram with all the forces in it

split all forces into components perpendicular and parallel to the slope. (the usual thing to for
problems with slopes)

Could you or someone else clarify what forces would be involved despite friction and gravity. Also how will this help me deduce the resistant force acting on the car?

ocfx said:
Could you or someone else clarify what forces would be involved despite friction and gravity.
The forces are gravity and some unknown resistive force (which you are trying to find).
Also how will this help me deduce the resistant force acting on the car?
What's the net force on the car?

What is the acceleration of the car with the resistive forces?
What would be the acceleration of the car if there were no resistive forces?

kuruman said:
What is the acceleration of the car with the resistive forces?
What would be the acceleration of the car if there were no resistive forces?

The acceleration with resistive forces is 0 since the speed is constant but if there were no resistive forces the acceleration would be 9.81, right?!

ocfx said:
The acceleration with resistive forces is 0 since the speed is constant but if there were no resistive forces the acceleration would be 9.81, right?!
That would be true if it were in free fall, but the car is constrained to go down an incline.

Doc Al said:
That would be true if it were in free fall, but the car is constrained to go down an incline.

Right, so should I use trigonometry to prove it then that is sin 15 = 9417.6N/x ?
EDIT: that doesn't give me the right answer a little hint would be appreciated =D

ocfx said:
Right, so should I use trigonometry to prove it then that is sin 15 = 9417.6N/x ?
That's incorrect.

What's the car's weight? What's the component of that weight parallel to the incline? (How do you find components parallel and perpendicular to an incline?)

Well could you explain the concept, because I'm not exactly sure of it?

Read all about it: http://www.physicsclassroom.com/Class/vectors/u3l3e.cfm"

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Resistive force at constant velocity freewheeling down a slope

What is resistive force at constant velocity freewheeling down a slope?

Resistive force at constant velocity freewheeling down a slope refers to the force that opposes the motion of an object as it travels down a slope at a constant speed. It is also known as frictional force or drag force.

What factors affect resistive force at constant velocity freewheeling down a slope?

The factors that affect resistive force at constant velocity freewheeling down a slope include the surface roughness of the slope, the mass and shape of the object, and the speed at which it is traveling.

How is resistive force at constant velocity freewheeling down a slope calculated?

Resistive force at constant velocity freewheeling down a slope can be calculated using the equation F = μmgcosθ, where F is the resistive force, μ is the coefficient of friction, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the slope.

What is the significance of resistive force at constant velocity freewheeling down a slope?

Resistive force at constant velocity freewheeling down a slope is important because it determines the amount of energy required to maintain a constant speed while traveling down a slope. It also affects the stability and control of the object's motion.

How can resistive force at constant velocity freewheeling down a slope be reduced?

Resistive force at constant velocity freewheeling down a slope can be reduced by using a smoother surface, reducing the mass or shape of the object, or by increasing the speed at which it travels down the slope.