Resistance in a wire, sanity check about units.

In summary, to calculate the resistance of a wire with a length of x cm, a diameter of y mm, and a resistivity of 4.0x10-7 ohm-cm, you must first convert the given values to SI units. This can be done by multiplying the length by 10^-2 to get meters and multiplying the diameter by 10^-3 to get meters. The resistivity can be converted to ohm/m by multiplying by 10^-2 as well. Then, using the formula R = p*L/A, where p is the resistivity, L is the length, and A is the cross-sectional area of the wire, you can calculate the resistance. In this case, the accepted answer is
Cade

Homework Statement

A x cm long wire has a diameter of y mm and a resistivity of 4.0x10-7 ohm-cm. Calculate its resistance.

Homework Equations

R = p*L/A

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I convert the given information into SI units:
Length = x*10^-2 m
Diameter = y*10^-3 m
Resistivity = 4*10^-5 ohm/m

Next, cross-sectional area of a wire/cylinder is pi*r^2 = pi*(d/2)^2 = (1/4)pi*d^2

R = p*L/A = p*L/((1/4)pi*d^2) = (4 L p)/(d^2 pi)

If x = 20 cm and y = 0.3mm,
R = (4*20*10^-2 *4*10^-5)/((0.3*10^-3)^2*Pi) = 113.177 ohms

Is this correct? My TA told me that I converted the units wrongly, and that the correct answer is 0.0113177 ohms.

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you convert 4.0*10-7 ohm-cm to units of ohm-m ?

1 cm = 1*10-2m .

4.0*10-7 ohm-cm * 10^-2 m/cm = 4.0*10^-9 ohm-m

Oh, that's the mistake, I did it in the opposite direction.

Cade said:
4.0*10-7 ohm-cm * 10^-2 m/cm = 4.0*10^-9 ohm-m

Oh, that's the mistake, I did it in the opposite direction.
And now you should get the accepted answer.

Your calculations and conversions seem to be correct. The resistance value you calculated is indeed 113.177 ohms. However, it is always important to do a sanity check on your units to ensure that your final answer is in the correct units.

In this case, the units for resistance are ohms, so your final answer should also be in ohms. It seems that your TA may have mistakenly converted the resistivity from ohm-cm to ohm/m, resulting in a different final answer.

It is always important to double check your units and make sure they are consistent throughout your calculations. In this case, it would be helpful to clarify with your TA about the correct units for resistivity and how it should be converted.

Overall, your approach and calculations seem correct, but it is always good to do a sanity check on your units to ensure accuracy.

Related to Resistance in a wire, sanity check about units.

1. What is the unit of measurement for resistance in a wire?

The unit of measurement for resistance in a wire is ohms (Ω).

2. How is resistance calculated in a wire?

Resistance in a wire can be calculated by dividing the voltage (V) by the current (I). This is represented by the equation R = V/I.

3. What factors affect the resistance of a wire?

The resistance of a wire is affected by several factors including the material of the wire, its length, cross-sectional area, and temperature. Generally, longer wires and thinner wires have higher resistance, while thicker wires and wires made of materials with high conductivity have lower resistance.

4. How does temperature affect resistance in a wire?

Temperature can affect the resistance of a wire by either increasing or decreasing it. In most materials, resistance increases as temperature increases. However, in some materials like semiconductors, resistance decreases as temperature increases.

5. What is the difference between resistance and resistivity?

Resistance is a measure of how much a material impedes the flow of electric current, while resistivity is a measure of a material's inherent resistance to current flow. Resistance is dependent on the dimensions of the wire, while resistivity is a characteristic of the material itself.