Resistance and capacitance in LCR circuits

In summary, the output voltage V_(out) (t) ‡ q(t) /C is used to measure the charge on a capacitor as a function of time, with q(t) representing an exponentially damped simple-harmonic oscillation. To find the value of R, the given frequency, period, and decay rate must be used. To find C, the number of cycles and frequency must be taken into account. The equations for finding R and C are provided in the attached file. The value of C is assumed to be constant during the dampening of the LCR circuit.
physicsStudent00

Homework Statement

The output voltage, V_(out) (t) ‡ q(t) /C, effectively measures the charge on the capacitor as a function of time, where q(t) is an exponentially damped simple-harmonic oscillation:
a) Given that L = 0.05 mH, the square-wave frequency is 25kHz, and the ringing decays to 40% of its peak within half a square-wave cycle what is R?
b)If there are 17 cycles of the LCR ringing each half-cycle of the square-wave, what is C?

Homework Equations

upload_2017-9-26_17-53-32.png

file attached is the equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a)
the frequency : f=25*10^3
period = 1/f = 1/25*10^3 -0.00004
Period = 2L/R = 0.00004,
therefore R=2(25*10^-3)/(0.00004)=2.5

b) not sure how to incorporate the information of the 17 cycles into the first given equation. i think you have to use the first equation to find omega, then use omega to solve for omega_0 to then find C. also not sure if C is constant during the dampening of the LCR circuit.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your first part is incorrect. You first need to find ## \tau ## where ## e^{-t/\tau}=.40 ## for ## t=T/2 ## where ## T ## is the period of the square wave. (The square wave is like a single step function applied to the circuit, but this step function gets applied repetitively so that the result can be observed much easier on an oscilloscope).

Likes physicsStudent00
so we assume that Cos(ωt)=1? why do we assume that at half way through a cycle, isn't that assuming that t=0?

but going with that e^(t/tau)
⇒tau=0.00002*ln(e)/ln(0.4)=2L/R
∴R=2(0.05*10^-3)/tau=4.58

dumb question but what is ω and ω_0 for this equasion, what is it a measure of.

then to move into part b) how do i incorporate the 17 cycles given that it dampens exponentially, would i need to know what the end result is then use that to solve for ω, but if its assumed that cos(ωt)=1 like in part a how does that work.

sorry if I'm asking a lot i just really don't understand this content and my textbook isn't very helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
To give you some introductory information, the series RLC circuit has ## L \, \frac{d^2 Q}{dt^2}+R \, \frac{dQ}{dt}+\frac{Q}{C}=V(t) ##. With a square wave input, ## V(t)=V_o ## is constant (## V_o ##) for a half cycle. (Note that current ## I=\frac{dQ}{dt} ##). This differential equation has as its solution the form they gave you. That is basically the homogeneous solution. (There is also a ## sin(\omega t) ## in the homogeneous solution, but that is an extra detail that isn't needed to solve this. The solution to the inhomogeneous equation is simply ## Q(t)=CV_o ##, so the homogeneous solution is the only part that is oscillating. This occurs because of the resonance of the LC combination, and the frequency ## \omega ## a which it occurs is changed slightly by the resistor. With ## R=0 ## , ## \omega=\omega_o=\frac{1}{\sqrt{LC}} ##, where ## \omega=2 \pi f ##. For ## R \neq 0 ##, ## \omega=2 \pi f ## is given by the formula they give you. ## \\ ## I think your ## R=4.58 \, \Omega ## is correct. (I checked your arithmetic very quickly).## \\ ## For the next part, they essentially tell you what ## \omega ## is. ## T_1=(T/2)/17 ## with ## f=\frac{1}{T_1} ## and ## \omega=2 \pi f ##. From that and their formulas, you should b able to compute ## C ##. ## C ## is the capacitance of the capacitor, and yes, it is constant.

Last edited:
Likes physicsStudent00
Charles Link said:
To give you some introductory information, the series RLC circuit has ## L \, \frac{d^2 Q}{dt^2}+R \, \frac{dQ}{dt}+\frac{Q}{C}=V(t) ##. With a square wave input, ## V(t)=V_o ## is constant (## V_o ##) for a half cycle. (Note that current ## I=\frac{dQ}{dt} ##). This differential equation has as its solution the form they gave you. That is basically the homogeneous solution. (There is also a ## sin(\omega t) ## in the homogeneous solution, but that is an extra detail that isn't needed to solve this. The solution to the inhomogeneous equation is simply ## Q(t)=CV_o ##, so the homogeneous solution is the only part that is oscillating. This occurs because of the resonance of the LC combination, and the frequency ## \omega ## a which it occurs is changed slightly by the resistor. With ## R=0 ## , ## \omega=\omega_o=\frac{1}{\sqrt{LC}} ##, where ## \omega=2 \pi f ##. For ## R \neq 0 ##, ## \omega=2 \pi f ## is given by the formula they give you. ## \\ ## I think your ## R=4.58 \, \Omega ## is correct. (I checked your arithmetic very quickly).## \\ ## For the next part, they essentially tell you what ## \omega ## is. ## T_1=(T/2)/17 ## with ## f=\frac{1}{T_1} ## and ## \omega=2 \pi f ##. From that and their formulas, you should b able to compute ## C ##. ## C ## is the capacitance of the capacitor, and yes, it is constant.
so for the new period shouldn't it be T_1=T*17, as what you are taking is that if in the same time part a) it now rotated 17 times instead of just once?
because following that and introducing it into the equation
ω=√(1/LC)-(R^2/4L)
C=27.66*10^-9

physicsStudent00 said:
so for the new period shouldn't it be T_1=T*17, as what you are taking is that if in the same time part a) it now rotated 17 times instead of just once?
This is a high frequency oscillation, basically ## f=34 f_o ## where ## f_o ## is the frequency of the square wave. But to compute it using the period ## T_1 ## , I believe I did it correctly. (## T_1 ## is very short).

Likes physicsStudent00
Charles Link said:
This is a high frequency oscillation, basically ## f=34 f_o ## where ## f_o ## is the frequency of the square wave. But to compute it using the period ## T_1 ## , I believe I did it correctly. (## T_1 ## is very short).
didn't realize that thank you very much
so by looking at it, it therefore makes sense that since the new period would be incredibly small shouldn't capacitance therefore be very small as the oscillations would have decreased be a large amount
following that and introducing T_1 into the equation
ω=√(1/LC)-(R^2/4L)
it solves to give
C=27.66*10^-9

thank you so much for all the help

Likes Charles Link
physicsStudent00 said:
did realize that thank you very much
so by looking at it, it therefore makes sense that since the new period would be incredibly small shouldn't capacitance therefore be very small as the oscillations would have decreased be a large amount
following that and introducing T_1 into the equation
ω=√(1/LC)-(R^2/4L)
it solves to give
C=27.66*10^-9

thank you so much for all the help
Just one more item: Calling ## f_o ## the frequency of the square wave is a poor choice (on my part)=I should have called it ## f_{sq} ## so it doesn't get confused with ## \omega_o=2 \pi f_o ##. This ## f_o ## is of course completely different from ## f_{sq} ##.

Likes physicsStudent00
Charles Link said:
Just one more item: Calling ## f_o ## the frequency of the square wave is a poor choice (on my part)=I should have called it ## f_{sq} ## so it doesn't get confused with ## \omega_o=2 \pi f_o ##. This ## f_o ## is of course completely different from ## f_{sq} ##.
don't worry i know what you meant, so in general as the period is very small, frequency will be very large. that affects the dampening through making it dampen at a greater rate?

physicsStudent00 said:
don't worry i know what you meant, so in general as the period is very small, frequency will be very large. that affects the dampening through making it dampen at a greater rate?
The damping is caused by the factor ## e^{-t/\tau} ##. The ## cos(\omega t) ## is an oscillation, as seen on an oscilloscope, that would be sinusoidal without the ## e^{-t/ \tau} ## term. With the ## e^{-t/ \tau} ## term, it becomes a damped sinusoid=the amplitude of the sinusoid gets exponentially smaller with time. The shorter ## \tau ## is, the quicker it gets damped. ## \\ ## ## \tau=2L/R ##. If ## R=0, ## ## \tau=+\infty ## so that ## t/ \tau=0 ## and there would be no damping.

Likes physicsStudent00
And one additional item is worth mentioning here, in regards to the voltage signal that you observe on an oscilloscope. The oscilloscope trace is made by sweeping an electron beam horizontally in time across a TV (phosphorescent) screen at a selected speed that you can adjust. The voltage signal is the input to the oscilloscope that will cause a deflection of the electron beam in the vertical direction. The result is that the oscilloscope gives you a graph on the screen of voltage vs. time.

Likes physicsStudent00

Related to Resistance and capacitance in LCR circuits

1. What is the significance of resistance, capacitance, and inductance in LCR circuits?

In LCR (inductive-capacitive-resistive) circuits, resistance, capacitance, and inductance are the three fundamental components that affect the behavior and performance of the circuit. Resistance limits the flow of electric current, capacitance stores electric charge, and inductance stores energy in the form of a magnetic field. Together, these components determine the frequency response, power consumption, and stability of an LCR circuit.

2. How do resistance and capacitance affect the impedance of an LCR circuit?

The impedance of an LCR circuit is the total opposition to the flow of electric current. Resistance and capacitance both contribute to the impedance in different ways. Resistance adds to the real part of impedance, while capacitance adds to the imaginary part. This means that both components affect the magnitude and phase of the impedance and can influence the resonance frequency of the circuit.

3. How do resistance and capacitance interact in a series LCR circuit?

In a series LCR circuit, resistance and capacitance interact to affect the overall current and voltage in the circuit. The resistance determines the amount of current that can flow through the circuit, while the capacitance stores energy and can affect the voltage across the circuit. These two components work together to determine the phase relationship between the current and voltage in the circuit.

4. How does the presence of inductance affect the behavior of an LCR circuit?

Inductance is the property of a circuit that opposes changes in electric current. In an LCR circuit, the presence of inductance can cause the circuit to resonate at a specific frequency, known as the resonant frequency. This can result in amplification of certain frequencies and attenuation of others, depending on the values of the other components in the circuit.

5. How does the quality factor (Q-factor) relate to resistance and capacitance in an LCR circuit?

The quality factor, or Q-factor, is a measure of the efficiency of an LCR circuit. It is determined by the ratio of the reactance (either inductive or capacitive) to the resistance in the circuit. A higher Q-factor indicates a more efficient circuit, with less energy lost due to resistance. Both resistance and capacitance play a role in determining the Q-factor of an LCR circuit.