Velocity and Displacement Problem: Solving for Missing Variables

• Thread starter Darkxtina
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around a person asking for help on a physics problem involving velocity and displacement. However, they only provide formulas and do not give the actual problem. Another user points out this issue and asks for clarification, but the original poster does not provide any more information. A teacher also chimes in, expressing their confusion and frustration with the lack of a clear problem. Ultimately, it is suggested to take the conversation to a different platform as it is not a chat room.
Darkxtina
[SOLVED] Can you answer this question?

I get confused on velocity and displacement. I have a problem here can somebody tell me what's missing to solve it??

Here are the formulas:

Delta x=1/2 (vi+vf)delta t----a
vf=vi+a (delta t)----- delta x

Thanks if you can solve it!:smile: :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
It is not clear what you wish solved for, nor is it clear what your problem is. Could you please explain your problem in a bit more detail?

Hey doc, I'm here, I made it:wink:

Those are formulas that I gave. I didn't really gave out the problems, lol. Anyways, I hope this forum can help me:smile: Thanks for this suggestion, Doc!

So, perhaps if you were to share more of the problem you would get some help.

That is XtinasVoicewithins original question who has posted in this thread just recently.:smile:

To Darkxtina and XtinaVoiceWithin:

This makes no sense at all. You give formulas and ask "What's missing to solve?" Well, what's missing is a problem to solve! Darkxtina gives a link which just has the same formulas. XtinaVoiceWithin (who apparently is different from Darkxtina and posted the orginal "question") says " I didn't really gave out the problems, lol. Anyways, I hope this forum can help me."

No, this forum cannot help you until you tell what the problems are!

That's what I said, I didn't gave out the problems, just the formulas.
It was late at night, I didn't at all explain it.

What I mean is that, in the future,when I give out the problems and everything that is given, hopefully someone can help me.

No, this forum cannot help you until you tell what the problems are!
I feel like you're screaming at me. That's pretty common sense.

This was just a simple misunderstanding because she only gave us half the question and she will be more detailed next time because it was late at night and she had to go to bed.[zz)] I am an advanced placement High School Physics teacher and I would have answered her question if I had the whole question myself but I was just seeing if anybody here could pull off a miracle and make sense of this question and answer it correctly. Thanks for your time everybody! :wink: :smile:

This fourm is not a chat room, if you have a problem you wish help with, post it. If you do not take your chatter to AIM or some other empty headed chat room. This entire thread is a waste of electrons.

The reason I "yelled" (actually, that was kind of mild for me!) was that she didn't bother to say that she WOULD post the problem later, or that it was late at night- she noted that she HADN'T posted the problem originally (and added "lol").

How would you feel if, as a tutor, someone came to you, gave you some formulas and, when you asked "well, what IS the problem", looked at you , said "Oh, I didn't give you the problem", and LAUGHED?

1. What is the difference between velocity and displacement?

Velocity refers to the rate of change of an object's position over time, while displacement is the distance and direction an object has moved from its original position.

2. How do you calculate velocity and displacement?

Velocity is calculated by dividing the change in displacement by the change in time. Displacement is calculated by subtracting the initial position from the final position.

3. What are the units of measurement for velocity and displacement?

Velocity is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h). Displacement is typically measured in meters (m) or kilometers (km).

4. What are the most common variables that are missing in velocity and displacement problems?

The most common variables that are missing in these types of problems are time, acceleration, and displacement.

5. How can I solve for missing variables in velocity and displacement problems?

To solve for missing variables, you can use the equations v = d/t for velocity and d = v*t for displacement. You can also use other equations that involve acceleration, such as v = u + at, where u is the initial velocity and a is the acceleration. It is important to identify which variables are given and which are missing, and then use the appropriate equations to solve for the missing variable.