Researching Inner Monologue: Experiments & Audio Tools

In summary, the conversation discusses researching the inner monologue and where to find information about experiments to alter it. It also mentions the use of audio tools to positively alter the tone and function of the inner monologue. The person also brings up the connection between dreams, imagination, and sensory stimulation, stating that the brain uses the same activity for both direct sensory stimulation and imagining.
Matt2012
Is anyone currently researching the inner monologue? Where can I find information about experiments to alter the inner monologue? Are there any websites which have "audio tools" which, when listened to, can positively alter the tone and function of the inner monologue?

Cheers,

Biology news on Phys.org
If by monologue, you mean that self-talk stuff, Cognitive Behavioral therapy is the fast track, got money to burn, try psychoanalyis.

Personally its more like a dialogue or on really bad days a trialogue, Joni Mitchell said it best (tho I believe the song was written by someone else).

My analyst told me
That I was right out of my head
But I said dear doctor
I think that its you instead
Because I have got a thing
Thats unique and new
To prove it Ill have
The last laugh on you
cause instead of one head
I got two
And you know two heads are better than one.

this is part of the research into dreams and imagination- from what I have gathered it seems the general framework of imagined qualia like inner monologue or imagined images/sounds is that they are essentially the same activity as with direct sensory stimulation- both seeing a car and thinking of/remembering seeing a car fire the same patterns of activity in the visual cortex- the main difference appears to be that the sensory receptors are not active themselves- the brain essentially makes you see again something based on what you saw before [with imagination it's a novelty of different parts of remembered images] but since the actual sensory receptors of your eyes aren't being stimulated by the brain retriggering the visual cortex acivity you don't physically see what you imagine- yet you can visualize it very vividly-

Last edited:

Related to Researching Inner Monologue: Experiments & Audio Tools

1. What is inner monologue?

Inner monologue refers to the ongoing internal dialogue or self-talk that takes place in a person's mind. It involves the constant stream of thoughts, beliefs, and feelings that a person experiences throughout their daily life.

2. Why is researching inner monologue important?

Researching inner monologue can provide valuable insights into how people think and process information. It can also help us understand the role of inner monologue in decision-making, problem-solving, and overall mental health.

3. What are some common methods used for researching inner monologue?

Some common methods for researching inner monologue include self-report questionnaires, thought sampling, and neuroimaging techniques such as functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) and electroencephalography (EEG).

4. What kind of experiments are conducted to study inner monologue?

Experiments on inner monologue often involve tasks that require participants to engage in specific types of thinking, such as decision-making or problem-solving, while their inner monologue is being recorded. Other experiments may involve manipulating the content or intensity of inner monologue and measuring its effects on behavior or brain activity.

5. How do audio tools play a role in researching inner monologue?

Audio tools, such as voice recorders or speech recognition software, can be used to capture and analyze a person's inner monologue in real-time. This can provide researchers with valuable data on the structure and content of inner monologue, as well as how it changes in response to different stimuli or situations.