Researching Elements - How Many Are There?

• Thread starter Noog_Z
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Elements
In summary, Noog_Z learned that there are 90 main elements and about 17 others, and that if he researches more, he can tell his teacher about this information. He also learned that there are 131 elements, but that Wikipedia is a good place to start. He has a debate with a friend about whether the temperatures for adding salt to boiling water will increase or decrease, and he is going to ask his teacher. Finally, he learned that technetium-99 was isolated in 1962 and that if it does exist, the concentration must be very small.
Noog_Z
Okay, so, in science class today, we learned about atoms and compounds and whatnot
And I said to my teacher that I read somewhere that there are 131 elements, and she said that there are 90 main ones and about 17 others, and so she said that if I researched this some more, tell her.

The book I read obviously doesn't have ALL the elements in it seeing as it was a story with every second chapter explaining the science.

So I was wondering if anyone could direct me to a site or give me all 131 elements

if there is (:

Thank you (:

Physics news on Phys.org

oh yeah, wikipedia, good old website (:
I asked my dad, and his reply was...
'what book was it?'
and i replied with Science of Dicsworld

then he said, that's all magic crap

so DON"T WORRY BOUT me, i had a blonde moment X) <----(thats a smiley face there, if u turn ur head sideways,,,)

but can someone tell me, I am having a debate with my friend on whther
the temperatures for our science prac of adding salt to water boiling will increase its temperature,

in my group, we got all our results underneath 100°c, but then when me and my dad went 'surfing the net' we found that the temperatures should be like, 1 degree higher, not 6 degrees or so lower.

yet, my friend says it should be lower, not higher.

which one is it? I'm going to ask my teacher as well (:

Noog_Z said:
and i replied with Science of Dicsworld

then he said, that's all magic crap

I haven't read the book but I am reasonably sure that "Science of Discworld" is actually a "proper" pop-sci book. Pratchet has written a few pop-sci books in collaboration with other authors and in all of them he is using Discworld (or charachers from Discworld) as a setting to discuss real science and philosophy of Science (there is another book which is about evolution). The setting is fictional but the science is real.
So don't worry about it, you can probably learn quite a lot of science by reading them.

f95toli said:

I haven't read the book but I am reasonably sure that "Science of Discworld" is actually a "proper" pop-sci book. Pratchet has written a few pop-sci books in collaboration with other authors and in all of them he is using Discworld (or charachers from Discworld) as a setting to discuss real science and philosophy of Science (there is another book which is about evolution). The setting is fictional but the science is real.
So don't worry about it, you can probably learn quite a lot of science by reading them.

oh okay (: that's good then, right now I'm reading Mort, so I'm pretty sure that unless people can actually walk through walls by imagining they aren't there, it's not very scientific ... (:

oh and i handed in my prac report today, so I should get whether my evaluation was right, or whether my friends was right (: I shall have the answer on... i don't know when my next science class is... i think it would be on a... tuesday (: thumbs up (Y)

You teacher is right, technically.

There are in all close to 100 elements that are created by nature, but close to 40 elements that the human kind have created.

Such as Borium, Rutherfordium, Einsteinium and many more, are elements created by scientists in labs.

The number of elements are still increasing, however.

Another good resource on the elements is - http://www.webelements.com/

One can find articles on each element.

Elements 1-92 are found naturally on earth. The transuranics 93-98 are found in nuclear reactor spent fuel, particularly spent MOX fuel, and maybe found as trace elements in uranium deposits, particularly those they have experienced some amount of fission (e.g. Oklo deposit). The rest are manufactured by a variety of ion bombardment techniques.

Thanks for the replies, that sorts it out (:

Minor quibble: Among the elements 1 to 92, elements 43, 61, 85, and 87 are not found in nature.

mathman said:
Minor quibble: Among the elements 1 to 92, elements 43, 61, 85, and 87 are not found in nature.
Actually in the Oklo deposit where some fission process did occur, Tc and Pm would occur naturally, or in some pitchblendes where spontaneous fission of U-238 occurs. Otherwise Tc has been observed in stars.

Finally in 1962, technetium-99 was isolated and identified in African pitchblende (a uranium rich ore) in extremely minute quantities as a spontaneous fission product of uranium-238 by B.T. Kenna and P.K. Kuroda. If it does exist, the concentration must be very small. Technetium has been found in the spectrum of S-, M-, and N-type stars, and its presence in stellar matter is leading to new theories of the production of heavy elements in the stars.
http://periodic.lanl.gov/elements/43.html

Promethium, however, has been identified in the spectrum of the star HR465 in Andromeda.
http://periodic.lanl.gov/elements/61.html

http://periodic.lanl.gov/elements/85.html - It is expected that there is less than 1 oz of astatine in the Earth's crust.

http://periodic.lanl.gov/elements/87.html
While it occurs naturally in uranium minerals, there is probably less than an ounce of francium at any time in the total crust of the earth. It has the highest equivalent weight of any element, and is the most unstable of the first 101 elements of the periodic system.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Researching Elements - How Many Are There?

1. How many elements are currently known to exist?

As of 2021, there are 118 known elements on the periodic table. However, scientists are constantly researching and discovering new elements.

2. What is the process for discovering new elements?

New elements are typically discovered through experiments using accelerators to fuse different atoms together. Scientists also use mathematical models and simulations to predict the existence of new elements.

3. How are elements named?

Elements are named based on a variety of factors, including their atomic structure, properties, and the person or place they are named after. For example, the element with atomic number 118 was named Oganesson after Russian physicist Yuri Oganessian.

4. How are elements organized on the periodic table?

The periodic table is organized by increasing atomic number, which is determined by the number of protons in the nucleus of an atom. Elements are also grouped together based on their similar properties and chemical reactivity.

5. Why is researching elements important?

Studying and understanding elements is crucial for advancements in various fields such as medicine, technology, and materials science. It also helps us better understand the composition of our universe and how different elements interact with one another.