Research interest, career plan, academic goal for REU

In summary, the conversation discusses the challenges faced by an international student in finding summer research opportunities and the need to make the application stand out. The individual is seeking advice on how to effectively write the required essay, with a focus on their research interests, career plan, academic goals, and how the program will help further their interests. They mention their interest in quantum mechanics, particle physics, and theoretical research, but are open to all kinds of research. They also request to hear about others' experiences in applying for summer REUs. One person mentions the difficulty of getting a theory project for an REU and shares their own experience of getting a project in condensed matter theory due to their previous experience and advanced coursework.
phanhuy93
Hello all,

I'm a Mathematics and Physics major, currently in my junior year. Being an international student, it is extremely hard for me to find summer REU, so I could only find around 9 places. Even so, they only say that they MIGHT accommodate around 1-2 internationals. As such, I want to make my application as strong as possible, since this is going to be my last chance to have research opportunity outside.

Now, I'm quite stuck on writing an essay(500 words) on my research interest, career plan, academic goals, and how I think the program will help me further my interest/plan. So, my question is how to effectively write this essay? What should I include and what not? What is the template? How specific should I be?

My interest is quantum mechanics, particle physics and theoretical research. However, I'm flexible to all kind of research.

If possible, could you share your experience on applying to summer REU as well.

Thank you very much

Physics news on Phys.org
It's pretty difficult to get a theory project for an REU unless you already have a experience or are very advanced in your coursework. I was able to get a project in condensed matter theory I think because I had a lot of experience from my home institution and I had taken graduate quantum and math methods.

Related to Research interest, career plan, academic goal for REU

What is a research interest?

A research interest is a topic or area of study that a scientist is particularly interested in and wants to explore further through research. It can range from a broad field of study, such as biology or chemistry, to a more specific topic, such as environmental sustainability or cancer research.

What is a career plan?

A career plan is a roadmap that outlines the steps a scientist will take to achieve their professional goals. It may include obtaining specific degrees or certifications, gaining experience through internships or research opportunities, and networking with professionals in their field.

What are academic goals for an REU?

Academic goals for an REU (Research Experience for Undergraduates) program may include gaining hands-on research experience, developing critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and expanding knowledge in a specific field of study. These goals can help students prepare for graduate school or future careers in science.

How do I choose a research interest?

Choosing a research interest can be a personal decision based on your passions, skills, and career goals. It can also be influenced by current trends and advancements in your field of study. It's important to select a topic that you are genuinely interested in and motivated to pursue.

How can an REU program help me achieve my career goals?

An REU program can provide valuable hands-on research experience, access to state-of-the-art equipment and facilities, and mentorship from experienced scientists. It can also offer opportunities to network with professionals in your field and present your research at conferences. These experiences can help you build a strong resume and prepare for future careers in science.