Research for a book - Would it float question

In summary: Thanks for your interest.In summary, Michael is seeking help with a question from his wife, who is writing a novel. The question is whether an empty steel container with a mass of 8000lbs and dimensions of 40ft/8ft/8ft would float or sink in the ocean if it is air tight and sealed. Through calculations using Archimedes Principle, it is determined that the container would float and could potentially hold up to 152,000 lbs of cargo before sinking. Michael is grateful for the help and will keep the expert updated on his wife's novel.
mlguts
It has been many years since my studies in physics and engineering in college. My wife is writing a novel, and had a question that I struggled to answer.

If there were a container (empty) constructed of steel with a mass of 8000lbs, with dimensions of 40ft/8ft/8ft (assume inner dimensions); would it float in the ocean or sink to the bottem. The container is air tight and sealed.

Thank you in advance for any thoughts!

Michael

Physics news on Phys.org
mlguts said:
It has been many years since my studies in physics and engineering in college. My wife is writing a novel, and had a question that I struggled to answer.

If there were a container (empty) constructed of steel with a mass of 8000lbs, with dimensions of 40ft/8ft/8ft (assume inner dimensions); would it float in the ocean or sink to the bottem. The container is air tight and sealed.

Thank you in advance for any thoughts!

Michael

Welcome to the PF, Michael. If you had a volume of water equivalent in size to that container, how much would that water weigh? More or less than the 8000lbs?

40*8*8 = 2560 cu ft
~62 lbs/cu ft
160,000 lbs of water
Therefore float.

And could hold around 152,000 lbs of cargo before sinking?

Is that correct?

mlguts said:
40*8*8 = 2560 cu ft
~62 lbs/cu ft
160,000 lbs of water
Therefore float.

And could hold around 152,000 lbs of cargo before sinking?

Is that correct?

Looks basically correct. Remember about the cargo, though, that the vessel has to be strong enough to hold the load. But otherwise, it looks correct.

BTW, the floating thing is called Archimedes Principle. Here's more reading if you're interested:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archimedes_principle

Thanks! It is all starting to come back now :) I appreciate the help!

Michael

mlguts said:
My wife is writing a novel

Let us know if she gets published. I wouldn't mind reading it.

Will do!

Related to Research for a book - Would it float question

What does "research for a book" mean?

"Research for a book" refers to the process of gathering information and data in order to write a book that is factually accurate and well-informed. This may involve conducting experiments, reading academic articles, interviewing experts, and other methods of obtaining information.

Why is research important for writing a book?

Research is important for writing a book because it helps ensure that the information presented is accurate, credible, and relevant. It also adds depth and richness to the writing, making it more engaging and informative for readers.

What are the steps involved in conducting research for a book?

The steps involved in conducting research for a book may vary depending on the topic and genre, but generally include identifying a research question, gathering and analyzing data, and interpreting and presenting the findings in a clear and organized manner.

How do you determine whether a source is reliable for research?

To determine the reliability of a source for research, it is important to evaluate the credibility and expertise of the author, the accuracy and relevance of the information presented, and the objectivity of the source. Additionally, cross-checking information with other sources can help confirm its reliability.

What are some common challenges when conducting research for a book?

Some common challenges when conducting research for a book may include finding reliable and relevant sources, managing and organizing large amounts of information, and ensuring that the research is ethical and follows established guidelines and protocols.