Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Research careers in mathematics (without teaching)

Alexmahone

Jan 26, 2012
Are there any research careers in mathematics that don't involve teaching?

HallsofIvy

MHB Math Helper
Jan 29, 2012
There exist companies which have research teams which might include mathematicians- but my understanding is that their job is largely using numerical methods to help the others on the team solve problems. Some universities have mathematics research positions but those are very few and typically filled by people who, while teaching, published impressive research.

Alexmahone

Jan 26, 2012
I would love to do maths all my life but I don't want to teach. What kind of job should I get?

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
I would love to do maths all my life but I don't want to teach. What kind of job should I get?
NSA, DARPA, and other government organizations hire mathematicians.

---------- Post added at 11:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 AM ----------

You may want to note that the NSA is mainly crypto, ie algebra and number theory.

DARPA and the others are going to be applied math/engineering type positions.

Moo

Feb 12, 2012
In France, there's the Poincaré's institute, but you've got to be really good :D I think it's the same for Princeton's IAS

anky2930

Apr 13, 2012
In my opinion there is no career in mathematics beside a teacher though maths is a very important subject because from past few years science is ruling.

CaptainBlack

Jan 26, 2012
In my opinion there is no career in mathematics beside a teacher though maths is a very important subject because from past few years science is ruling.
And your opinion is wrong, as can be proven by a single counter example (and there are many)

CB

Last edited:

Moo

Feb 12, 2012
(Surprised)

Swlabr

Feb 21, 2012
In France, there's the Poincaré's institute, but you've got to be really good :D I think it's the same for Princeton's IAS
I have heard tale of permanent jobs (in arbitrary universities) in France without teaching. However, they do not pay very well...

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012

---------- Post added at 11:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 AM ----------

You may want to note that the NSA is mainly crypto, ie algebra and number theory.

DARPA and the others are going to be applied math/engineering type positions.
Actually, I would say that NSA is a remarkable place, because it is about the only non-academic institution in the world where you can pretty much do any math you want. They use just about every field of math at NSA.