Requirements for Water Spout pressure trick, at 100 scale?

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of a water dispenser where the flow stops after a certain amount of time due to the pressure difference between the inside and outside of the bottle. The question is raised about the requirements for a larger diameter dispenser and how to calculate the necessary pressure. The expert suggests that the size of the spout plays a role in the flow and provides a formula for calculating the pressure difference.
mgmguy
Hello this is my first post, so if I am supposed to move this to another forum section please advise I would be happy to

http://foryourwater.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/3_gallon_dispensing_water_bottle_lg.jpg

As for my question, I am referencing the example of a water dispenser above, after a certain amount of flow, the water simply won't come out anymore. I assume this is because the amount of pressure/vacuum within the bottle is higher than the outside environment on the other side of the spout. Only until the lid is opened, shall the water then flow again. If someone is to look closely, they will see a level of water being suspended in mid air due to this, inside the spout.

I am curious of the requirements to do this in something let's say 5 feet wide in diameter. Is there a way to calculate the pressure required? I am wondering the pressure needed to accomplish this and if its possible

thanks

Matt

Engineering news on Phys.org
The limiting element is the size of the spout. If it is wider than a fraction of an inch, the flow will become intermittent, as air bubbles go up the spout.

I think it's:

...pressure(psi) inside LESS than pressure outside by this amount:

...[density of water (in lbs per cubic inch)] X [depth of water(in inches) inside above center of spigot]

can you explain why?

Related to Requirements for Water Spout pressure trick, at 100 scale?

1. What is the purpose of the Water Spout pressure trick?

The Water Spout pressure trick is used to demonstrate the effects of air pressure on water. It is often used as a fun and educational experiment to explain concepts such as atmospheric pressure and fluid dynamics.

2. What materials are needed to perform the Water Spout pressure trick?

To perform the Water Spout pressure trick at 100 scale, you will need a plastic bottle, water, a balloon, and a large bowl or container to catch the water. You may also want to use food coloring to make the water more visible.

3. How do you perform the Water Spout pressure trick?

First, fill the bottle with water and place it upside down in the bowl or container. Then, stretch the balloon over the mouth of the bottle. Next, gently squeeze the bottle to release a small amount of water and watch as the balloon inflates. This is due to the decrease in air pressure inside the bottle as the water is released.

4. What is the significance of performing the Water Spout pressure trick at 100 scale?

Performing the Water Spout pressure trick at 100 scale allows you to see the effects of air pressure on a larger scale, making it easier to observe and understand. It also allows for a more dramatic demonstration of the concept.

5. Are there any safety precautions to keep in mind when performing the Water Spout pressure trick?

Yes, it is important to use caution when handling the bottle and balloon to avoid spills or accidents. You may also want to perform the experiment in a space that is easy to clean up in case of any spills. Additionally, adult supervision is recommended for children performing this experiment.