Requirement of emitter resistors in current mirror circuit

In summary, the presence of an emitter resistor (R1 and R2) in a current mirror circuit increases the output resistance which minimises harms of early effect. This is because the early effect manifests itself as a change in output current, which indicates a finite output impedance. Since adding the emitter resistors increases the effective output impedance, it reduces the change in I caused by a change in V.
brainbaby
In a current mirror circuit ..presence of an emitter resistor (R1 and R2) increases the output resistance which minimises harms of early effect...how?
why its advantageous to have a high output resistance in current sources/current mirror circuits?

Attachments

• current_mirror_re.gif
    current_mirror_re.gif
    1 KB · Views: 562
Engineering news on Phys.org
Think about how the early effect manifests itself. As the output voltage changes, the output current changes. That indicates a finite output impedance. Since adding the emitter resistors increases the effective output impedance, it reduces the change in I caused by a change in V.

delta I = deltaE/deltaR. If R is infinite, no amount of E change will change I.

Likes brainbaby
brainbaby said:
why its advantageous to have a high output resistance in current sources/current mirror circuits?

Because - by definition - an ideal current source is identical to a voltage source with an infinite source resistance.

Likes brainbaby
meBigGuy said:
Think about how the early effect manifests itself. As the output voltage changes, the output current changes. That indicates a finite output impedance. Since adding the emitter resistors increases the effective output impedance, it reduces the change in I caused by a change in V.

delta I = deltaE/deltaR. If R is infinite, no amount of E change will change I.
nice explanation ...thnks

R1 and R2 help linearise the mirror for higher currents. They reduce the effect of Vbe negative temp coefficient and reduce the thermal imbalance.

By placing another transistor above the mirror you can equalise the collector voltages and so make a mirror with a better thermal power balance.

Likes brainbaby
Baluncore said:
R1 and R2 help linearise the mirror for higher currents. They reduce the effect of Vbe negative temp coefficient and reduce the thermal imbalance.

By placing another transistor above the mirror you can equalise the collector voltages and so make a mirror with a better thermal power balance.
Are you talking about this circuit(refer attachment)..
The transistor Q3 is involved just to cancel the effects of base current ...i mean base current is quite small in magnitude (that should be neglected ) then what is the requirement to minimise base current...and involve Q3?

Attachments

• current_mirror_buffer.gif
    current_mirror_buffer.gif
    976 bytes · Views: 516
See attached. The accurate current balance here is done by Q1 and Q2. The rest of the circuit is there to help them.
For high currents R1 and R2 swamp the Vbe of Q1 and Q2 so as to prevent thermal offsets or runaway.
Think cascode, Q2 and Q3 make the collector voltages of Q1 and Q2 very similar in magnitude, so heating is the same in both Q1 and Q2.
D1 keeps Q1 and Q2 on the edge of saturation, a small collector voltage makes less heat.
Q5 produces the base current for all other transistors. If Q5 is high beta then most base drive comes from Vcc, not Iin.
Only Q1 and Q2 need a common thermal environment. Temperature of other components is unimportant.

Attachments

• CurrentMirror.jpg
    CurrentMirror.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 478
Baluncore said:
See attached. The accurate current balance here is done by Q1 and Q2. The rest of the circuit is there to help them.
For high currents R1 and R2 swamp the Vbe of Q1 and Q2 so as to prevent thermal offsets or runaway.
Think cascode, Q3 and Q4 make the collector voltages of Q1 and Q2 very similar in magnitude, so heating is the same in both Q1 and Q2.
D1 keeps Q1 and Q2 on the edge of saturation, a small collector voltage makes less heat.
Q5 produces the base current for all other transistors. If Q5 is high beta then most base drive comes from Vcc, not Iin.
Only Q1 and Q2 need a common thermal environment. Temperature of other components is unimportant.

Shouldn't the transistor designators above in red be as I've shown?

There's more on the topic at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilson_current_mirror

The Electrician is quite correct, my typo.

Note that the diode in my diagram can be replaced with a transistor to give base current cancellation. See attached.
This is probably a buffered, improved, Wilson Current Mirror.

The problem with the Wilson mirror is that the Vce voltages are different for the critical pair of transistors. Power dissipation, and therefore heating differs by a factor of two between the two matched transistors.

Attachments

• mirror2.jpg
    mirror2.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 446

Related to Requirement of emitter resistors in current mirror circuit

1. Why are emitter resistors necessary in a current mirror circuit?

Emitter resistors are necessary in a current mirror circuit to stabilize the output current and improve the accuracy of the circuit. Without emitter resistors, small variations in the transistor characteristics can result in large changes in the output current, leading to inaccuracies.

2. What is the purpose of having two emitter resistors in a current mirror circuit?

The two emitter resistors in a current mirror circuit are used to compensate for any differences in the transistor characteristics and ensure that the output current is equal to the input current. This helps to maintain a constant current output and improve the accuracy of the circuit.

3. How do emitter resistors affect the linearity of a current mirror circuit?

Emitter resistors help to improve the linearity of a current mirror circuit by reducing the output impedance. This allows for a more linear relationship between the input and output currents, resulting in a more accurate replication of the input current.

4. Can emitter resistors be replaced with other components in a current mirror circuit?

Yes, emitter resistors can be replaced with other components such as diodes, but their effectiveness may be limited. Emitter resistors are specifically designed for use in current mirror circuits and provide the best stability and accuracy.

5. How do I choose the appropriate value for emitter resistors in a current mirror circuit?

The value of emitter resistors can be chosen based on the desired output current and the characteristics of the transistors used in the circuit. It is important to select resistors with values that are close to each other to ensure equal output currents and to minimize inaccuracies.