Required Precision for GPS Distance Measurement

In summary, the conversation discusses how GPS can accurately determine positions by measuring the distance between the observer and several satellites orbiting Earth. The question arises about the required accuracy in the distance to achieve a 2-meter uncertainty, and it is determined that it would require 8 significant digits. The conversation also touches on the concept of significant figures and how they affect accuracy in measurements.
DSG3002

Homework Statement

GPS can be used to determine positions with great accuracy. The system works by determining the distance between the observer and each of the several satellites orbiting Earth. If one of the satellites is at a distance of 20,000 km from you, what percent accuracy in the distance is required if we desire a 2-meter uncertainty? How many significant figures do we need to have in the distance?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm new to Physics and I'm just taking it this year, so all I could figure is converting 20,000 km to 20,000,000 meters. That's all I know to do, though.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
And 2m is how many percent of 20,000,000m?

So that makes the percent accuracy 1 x 10^5 % (or 0.00001%)?

What about significant figures in the distance? I don't understand what the question means by that... (This is from a worksheet I have.)

Chrisas said:
Watch out for your typo...that should be 10^(-5)%. But other than that, I think that's right.

See this for significant digits rules/examples
http://www.batesville.k12.in.us/Phy...t/Significant_Digits.html#counting sig digits

With an uncertainty of 2 meters, the range measurement could be any where from
20,000,002 meters to
19,999,998 meters.

How many digits are required to write those numbers?

So, 8?

Thanks for your help. I figured this would be overlooked since it looks like cake compared to the other questions I've seen asked here.

I would say 8 is correct. No problem, hope it's right :)

Chrisas said:
With an uncertainty of 2 meters, the range measurement could be any where from
20,000,002 meters to
19,999,998 meters.

How many digits are required to write those numbers?
Technically it's asking how many digits are needed to write the distance to the satellite so that the precision represented by the last digit is less than the desired uncertainty. In this case, if you write 8 digits, the last of those digits represents 1-meter accuracy (remember the place value system?). If you only had 7 significant digits, the last of those digits would represent 10-meter accuracy, so the distance 20,000,000 with seven significant digits (the last zero being an insignficant digit) would have an inherent uncertainty of 10 meters. That's too large to be able to tell where you are to 2-meter precision.

But bottom line, I agree with 8 digits being the correct answer here.

Related to Required Precision for GPS Distance Measurement

What is accuracy and uncertainty?

Accuracy refers to the closeness of a measurement to the true or accepted value. Uncertainty, on the other hand, is the amount of potential error or variability in a measurement.

Why is accuracy and uncertainty important in scientific measurements?

Accurate measurements are crucial for obtaining reliable and valid results in scientific experiments. The uncertainty associated with a measurement allows scientists to understand the limitations of their data and make informed decisions about the reliability of their results.

How is accuracy and uncertainty calculated?

Accuracy is typically calculated by comparing a measurement to a known or accepted value. Uncertainty is determined by considering the precision of the measuring instrument and the potential sources of error in the measurement.

How do scientists reduce uncertainty in their measurements?

Scientists can reduce uncertainty by using precise measuring instruments, conducting multiple trials, and controlling for potential sources of error in their experiments.

Can a measurement be accurate but still have uncertainty?

Yes, a measurement can be accurate but still have uncertainty. This means that the measurement is close to the true value, but there is still some potential for error or variability in the data. Uncertainty is a natural part of scientific measurements and does not necessarily indicate inaccuracy.