Required Computer Skills for Mechanical Engineering

In summary: I would recommend learning C++ as it is more commonly used in industry, but all three are very useful for engineering. Also learn some computer programming so you can communicate with external devices.
reazon1n1
Hey guys,
I am a freshmen planning to Major in Mechanical Engineering. After I graduate, I want to purse a career in the Aerospace industry coz Aviation is my interest.

I was wondering what kind of computer programming skills and CAD designing skills should I acquire inorder to make myself more competitive.

About computer programming, which one should I consider learning:
>C++ or
>MATLAB or
>JAVA

About Computer Aided Design (CAD) program, which one should I consider learning:
>Autodesk AutoCAD or
>AutoDesk AutoCAD Mechanical or
>Catia V5/V6 or
>SolidWorks

Please give me some idea on which computer programming language and CAD skills to develop.

Physics news on Phys.org
Definitely C++ and/or Matlab.

CAD: Solidworks and/or Pro-E.

You will learn these during your course of study though. You will likely take a class that teaching you C++ and Matlab. I haven't used C++ since I took that course over 4 years ago but I used Matlab all the time. And you will definitely take a course that teach you some CAD program. It doesn't matter too much which CAD program you learn because learning one will give you the knowledge to quickly learn another one.

@RandomGuy88: these days, I'm self-learning AutoCAD. Do you think it will help me too?

about C++ & MATLAB, which is more better option? if you had to chose between 1, which one would you suggest?

I used AutoCAD at an internship one summer but that was it. I didn't like it very much though. I am not a big CAD user for the most part and I am a grad student so I don't know exactly what is the most popular in industry (at my school it is ProE) but I don't think AutoCAD is that widely used. That being said, it certainly won't hurt to learn and it will probably make you more proficient in whatever class you take that teaches you a different CAD program so I wouldn't stop learning it.

As far as C++ vs. Matlab I would definitely say Matlab is more important (to me at least). I use it all the time and I am an experimentalist. Its been awhile since I used C++ but I believe the syntax of Matlab and C++ is pretty similar so if you learn one you will probably be able to learn the other one fairly easily. I think C++ is more common for communicating with external devices that you might be using in experiments. The last time I used it was for that exact purpose and I have never used Matlab for a similar purpose. That doesn't mean it isn't used for it but I have never done it. I use Matlab for doing a large number of calculations and for solving equations numerically. Normally when I use a computer to communicate with external devices I used LabView which is completely different from C++ or Matlab and you shouldn't even worry about LabView yet.

RandomGuy88: which grad school do you go to?and what's ur major/research area? would u mind sharing?

I am an aerospace engineering grad student at the University of Illinois. My research is experimental aerodynamics.

My undergrad degree is mechanical engineering.

You may want to learn Visual Basic as well. That is the macro language for Microsoft Office. Excel macros can make your life much easier and could be useful immediately in your course work.

I have spend the last week working with a mechanical engineer developing a set of Excel macros to create text files read by our tool to do tests. Then another macro which reads in the large results text file (one test maxed out Excell's number of rows), computes basic statistics and charts the results.

From what I have seen VB is more useful to working Mechanical engineers then C++, that is what the software guy does. Though knowing C++ cannot hurt you, Excel is a universilly used app. The more you can do with it the easier your life will be.

Last edited:
Guys, can you also rec0mmend necessary c0mputer skills for civil engineEring?

I'm also learning Autocad by myself.

I would learn...

Solidworks, AutoDesk Inventor (AutoCAD can be useful too), and ProEngineer

All three are very useful, Also learn at least some computer programming.

I have used all three of these in mechanical related internships.

Related to Required Computer Skills for Mechanical Engineering

1. What are the most important computer skills for mechanical engineering?

The most important computer skills for mechanical engineering include proficiency in computer-aided design (CAD) software, programming languages such as MATLAB or Python, and knowledge of simulation and analysis tools like Finite Element Analysis (FEA) and Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD).

2. Do I need to be an expert in coding for mechanical engineering?

While it is not necessary to be an expert in coding, having a basic understanding of programming languages can be beneficial for mechanical engineers. It can help with automating tasks, data analysis, and creating custom tools for specific projects.

3. How important is proficiency in CAD software for mechanical engineering?

CAD software is a crucial tool for mechanical engineers, as it allows for the creation and modification of digital designs. It is used for 3D modeling, drafting, and creating technical drawings. Proficiency in CAD software is essential for designing and prototyping mechanical components and systems.

4. Is knowledge of simulation and analysis tools necessary for mechanical engineering?

Yes, knowledge of simulation and analysis tools is necessary for mechanical engineering. These tools allow engineers to test and analyze designs before they are physically built, saving time and resources. FEA and CFD are commonly used for structural and fluid analysis in mechanical engineering projects.

5. How can I improve my computer skills for mechanical engineering?

You can improve your computer skills for mechanical engineering by taking courses or workshops on relevant software and programming languages. Additionally, practicing and applying these skills in real-world projects can help enhance your proficiency. Keeping up-to-date with advancements in technology and software can also be beneficial.