How can I fix Windows hibernation issues?

• Thread starter Pauly Man
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Windows
In summary, this person is having problems with their computer when it goes into power saver mode. They suggest playing around with different times to find one that works best, disabling hibernation, and using a different file-system.
Pauly Man
Hi guys,

I'm having problems with my computer when it goes into power saver mode. Now I'm all for this mode, becasue it saves a us a bit on electricity, when I leave it on overnight to defrag a disk or something. But the problem is that I can't get it to boot back up again afterwards. Or rather it seems to boot back up but the monitor doesn't, so I can't see anything, and I have to restart it.

Is there anyway I can fix this, if more info is needed just let me know.

Computer science news on Phys.org
ooh man, i hear ya...

that happens to me only about once a month now. i think it has to do with your power settings, like in the interaction between the monitor and computer.

all i can suggest is that you play around with different times, i imagine that'll take quite a while to find one that's best.

also, i assume you're working with windows, which in itself provides another solution...

and we all know what that is

I disable hibernation and keep my power setting set to stay on.

Originally posted by Pauly Man

But the problem is that I can't get it to boot back up again afterwards. Or rather it seems to boot back up but the monitor doesn't, so I can't see anything, and I have to restart it.

Is there anyway I can fix this, if more info is needed just let me know.

You probably checked the Turn off monitor option and set the time for longer than it's supposed to be.

Click on Display Properties--->>Click on Screen Saver Tab--->>Power button (under Monitor Power)--->>Turn Off Monitor Option( then check to see the time you set under that)

Thanx for the info guys.

I've decided to have my comp never go into standby or hibernation mode, because realistically it is never not doing anything when it is on. If I leave it on overnight I will just manually turn the monitor off, and leave it running. This seems to work so far, I haven't had any problems getting it back on line.

Yet another reason to switch to linux. The ext2/ext3 file-system has very low defragmentation. Even lower than ntfs. I don't even think there is an equivalent to defrag in linux.. The only file-system tools I've every used are fdisk (Create Partition) and fsck (Repair Partition after bad shutdown).

Originally posted by dduardo
Yet another reason to switch to linux.

You don't need to convince me of the pros of linux. This is my aprents comp, once I get my own comp going to setup up a dual linux\win xp pro system. The win xp system will be mainly for my programming with visual studio, and linux will be for almost everything else. I'm at the stage now where I no longer use word anymore, I use LaTeX. =]

1. What is Windows Hibernation?

Windows Hibernation is a power-saving feature that allows your computer to save the current state of your system, including open programs and documents, and then shut down completely. When you turn your computer back on, it will restore everything to the exact state it was in before going into hibernation.

2. How do I enable hibernation on my Windows computer?

To enable hibernation on a Windows computer, go to the Control Panel and click on "Power Options." Then, click on "Choose what the power buttons do" and select "Change settings that are currently unavailable." Under the "Shutdown settings" section, check the box next to "Hibernate" and click "Save changes."

3. Can I hibernate my computer without closing my programs?

Yes, hibernation allows you to save the current state of your computer, including open programs and documents. When you turn your computer back on, everything will be restored to where you left off.

4. How much space does hibernation use on my hard drive?

The amount of space used for hibernation varies depending on your computer's settings and the amount of RAM you have. Generally, hibernation will use about the same amount of space as your computer's RAM. For example, if you have 8GB of RAM, hibernation will use approximately 8GB of space on your hard drive.

5. Can hibernation cause any problems for my computer?

Hibernation is generally a safe and reliable feature, but there are rare cases where it can cause problems. For example, if your computer has hardware or software issues, hibernation may not work properly. It is always recommended to save your work and close all programs before hibernating your computer.