Repulsive force between 2 protons?

In summary: If you have a comment to make on a subject, it is generally better to start a new thread and make a reference to the old thread. This way, the original posters will not be bothered by an email from Physics Forums and you will be able to address your comment to a wider audience.
Nerdydude101

Homework Statement

I have 2 protons 1 femtometer away from each other, what is the repulsive force between them?

q1 = 1.6x10-19C
q2 = 1.6x10-19C
r = 1x10-15m
K = 9x109Nm2/C2

Homework Equations

FE=Kqqqw/rw

The Attempt at a Solution

My answer comes out to be -230.4N but I feel that that is wrong because this is approximately the distance that 2 protons are from each other in an atom and that would mean the strong force is acting on them wouldn't it? So wouldn't the repulsive force be very high? Or is the strong force just much more powerful than it needs to be?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you're over thinking the problem, unless your course is dealing with nuclear structure and the strong and weak nuclear forces. Just go with the electrical force.

The strong force is called "strong" for a reason :smile:

A quick check by order of magnitude:
q1=q2~10^-19
r^2 ~ 10-30
K ~ 10^10
So F ~ 10^(10-38+30)=100 ... 230~100 so you are fine.
(read "~" as "is of the order of")

The negative sign would usually indicate an attractive force.

? So wouldn't the repulsive force be very high?
... things can only be big or small in comparison with something else. So what are you comparing this force to, that you suspect it is not large?

consider: If the protons were held at 1fm apart, then released, what would be their initial acceleration?
If the protons came to rest 1fm from each other, how much kinetic energy did they start out with?
Is that sort of kinetic energy readily available to free protons in Nature? Say - from normal heating to room temperature? What sort of kinetic energy do two bound protons have? How does this compare with the coulomb potential energy at 1fm?

Nerdydude101 said:

Homework Statement

I have 2 protons 1 femtometer away from each other, what is the repulsive force between them?

q1 = 1.6x10-19C
q2 = 1.6x10-19C
r = 1x10-15m
K = 9x109Nm2/C2

Homework Equations

FE=Kqqqw/rw

The Attempt at a Solution

My answer comes out to be -230.4N but I feel that that is wrong because this is approximately the distance that 2 protons are from each other in an atom and that would mean the strong force is acting on them wouldn't it? So wouldn't the repulsive force be very high? Or is the strong force just much more powerful than it needs to be?
Actually, the equation for F you wrote in an equation for the magnitude of the force so it should read

[itex] F_E = K \, |q_1| \, |q_2| / r^2 [/itex]
so this always comes out positive.

You are right that at that distance, the strong nuclear force is important, on top of the electric force.
You seem to feel that the force you got is not as large as you expected, am I right?
It may not sound that big if you think about the force on a macroscopic object (like a baseball or a person) but such force on a tiny particle like a proton is huge, all proportions considered. You can see that it is huge if you calculate the acceleration of the proton (compared to the acceleration of, say, a person who experiences a force of the same magnitude). The point is that such a force concentrated on a single proton is quite impressive.

Nerdydude101 said:

Homework Equations

FE=Kqqqw/rw

What is w? Should it be 2 instead of w?

To have a more practical value i'd suggest we take distance 3.8 fm which is found in Helium nuclei. The magnitude of force then comes out to be ~15 N.
I agree with nrqed. To make more sense of the current magnitude we'll need to scale the values by translating the metrics to a more real life scenario.

@YashKumarSingh : Note that this thread is quite old, from September of 2014. The Original Poster, Nerdydude101, was last logged in on Jan 8, 2015. It is rarely of value to "wake up" old threads.

Related to Repulsive force between 2 protons?

1. What is the repulsive force between two protons?

The repulsive force between two protons is an electrostatic force that exists due to their positive charges. Protons have the same charge, so they repel each other when they are in close proximity.

2. What causes the repulsive force between two protons?

The repulsive force between two protons is caused by the electromagnetic force, also known as the Coulomb force. This force is the result of the interaction between the positive charges of the protons.

3. How strong is the repulsive force between two protons?

The strength of the repulsive force between two protons is determined by the distance between them and the magnitude of their charges. The force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the protons, meaning that the force decreases as the distance between them increases.

4. Is the repulsive force between two protons always present?

Yes, the repulsive force between two protons is always present as long as they have a distance between them. This force is a fundamental property of protons and cannot be eliminated.

5. How does the repulsive force between two protons affect atomic nuclei?

The repulsive force between protons plays a crucial role in atomic nuclei. It counteracts the attractive force between protons and neutrons, known as the strong nuclear force. This balance of forces determines the stability of the nucleus and the elements it forms.