Representing Wavefunction as Superposition of Eigenstates

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the wave function and probability of the first eigenenergy level for a particle in an infinite square well with a defined initial wave function. The process involves solving for Cn, which depends on n, and representing the wavefunction as a sum of sin functions. The time dependence is also considered through an additional exponential factor.
Kvm90

Homework Statement

A particle in the infinite square well with V(x)=0 for 0<x<a and V(x)=infinity otherwise has the initial (t=0) wave function:

psi(x,0)=Ax for 0<x<a/2
psi(x,0)= A(a-x) for a/2<x<a

1) Sketch psi and psi^2 (DONE)
2) Determine A [DONE - 2*sqrt(3)*a^(-3/2)]
3) Find psi(x,t) (HELP!)
4) What is the probability that a measurement of the energy yields the first eigenenergy level E1 of this infinite square well?
5) Find the expectation value of the energy.

Homework Equations

Psi(x,t)=SUMMATION[Cn*Psi n] = SUM[Cn sin((n*pi*x)/a)

Cn=int(psi(x,0)sin((n*pi*x)/a)
Cn=int(A*x*sin((n*pi*x)/a)) + int(A(a-x)*sin((n*pi*x)/a))

Questions!

Do I replace the 'n's in sin((n*pi*x)/a) with 1 and 2 when I'm solving for Cn? Am I trying to represent the wavefunction as a sum of sin((pi*x)/a) and sin((2*pi*x)/a) ... or do I just leave the quantum number n in my equations?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Kvm90 said:
Questions!

Do I replace the 'n's in sin((n*pi*x)/a) with 1 and 2 when I'm solving for Cn? Am I trying to represent the wavefunction as a sum of sin((pi*x)/a) and sin((2*pi*x)/a) ... or do I just leave
the quantum number n in my equations?

Nope. In general, an infinite number of eigenfunctions is required to represent an arbitrary wavefunction. Once you carry out your integral (which splits up into two integrals since the initial wavefunction is defined piecewise), you will obtain an expression for cn that depends on n (of course).

Don't forget that the summation you have expressed is actually for [itex] \Psi(x,0) [/itex] and that the time dependence comes in as an extra exponential factor multiplying each eigenfunction.

Related to Representing Wavefunction as Superposition of Eigenstates

1. What is a wavefunction?

A wavefunction is a mathematical description of the quantum state of a particle or system. It contains information about the position, momentum, and other physical properties of the system.

2. What are eigenstates?

Eigenstates are specific states that a quantum system can occupy, characterized by a definite value for a particular physical property. They are represented by the eigenvectors of a mathematical operator called the Hamiltonian.

3. How is a wavefunction represented as a superposition of eigenstates?

A wavefunction can be written as a linear combination of eigenstates, where each eigenstate is multiplied by a complex coefficient. The coefficients determine the probability amplitudes for the system to be in each eigenstate.

4. Why is representing wavefunction as a superposition of eigenstates important?

This representation allows us to describe the quantum state of a system in a way that is consistent with the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics. It also allows us to make predictions about the behavior of the system and calculate its energy levels.

5. Can any wavefunction be represented as a superposition of eigenstates?

Yes, according to the superposition principle in quantum mechanics, any wavefunction can be written as a linear combination of eigenstates. However, not all eigenstates may be relevant or contribute significantly to the overall wavefunction for a particular system.