Representation of Lorentz algebra

In summary, the conversation discusses the representation of the Lorentz algebra and how the matrix form of ##iJ_z## is obtained. The notation ## -i y\partial_x + x \partial_y##, which represents a killing vector on ##R^4##, is also examined. It is shown that ##J_z## is a Killing vector for the Minkowski metric and the rest of the generators can be derived by examining other infinitesimal rotations and boosts.
naima
Gold Member
i find here a representation of the Lorentz algebra.
Starting from the matrix representation (with the ##\lambda## parameter) i see
how one gets the matrix form of ##iJ_z##
I am less comfortable with the ## -i y\partial_x + x \partial_y## notation
Where does it come from? They say that it is a killing vector on ##R^4##
I suppose that this is basic but as i read it in a physics paper i have not the complete background.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's look at an infinitesimal rotation around the ##z##-axis, by a positive infinitesimal angle ##\alpha##. We can just draw a diagram of the x-y plane and rotate the axes a bit counter clockwise. Then we'll see that
$$\begin{split}
& x \rightarrow x' = x + \alpha y, \\
& y \rightarrow y' = y - \alpha x, \\
& z \rightarrow z' = z. \end{split}$$
Now check that
$$\begin{split}
& - \alpha ( x \partial_y - y \partial_x) x = \alpha y, \\
& - \alpha ( x \partial_y - y \partial_x) y = - \alpha x. \end{split}$$
Therefore
$$ \delta x^k = i \alpha J_z x^k$$
if we define
$$ J_z = i ( x \partial_y - y \partial_x).$$

Further, we can show that ##J_z## is a Killing vector for the Minkowski metric. The Killing condition is
$$ (J_z)_{\mu ; \nu} + (J_z)_{\nu ; \mu} =0.$$
Since the Minkowski metric is flat, the covariant derivatives reduce to ordinary derivatives and the Killing condition becomes:
$$0 = (J_z)_{x ,y} + (J_z)_{y,x} = \partial_y ( -i y) + \partial_x ( i x),$$
which is obviously satisfied.

One can derive the rest of the generators by examining the other infinitesimal rotations and boosts and then verifying that the Killing equation is satisfied as I did above. Or else one can just compute the rest of the Killing vectors and then see that they have an interpretations as generators.

Related to Representation of Lorentz algebra

1. What is the Lorentz algebra?

The Lorentz algebra is a mathematical structure that describes the symmetries of space and time. It is a Lie algebra, meaning that it is a vector space equipped with a bilinear operation called the Lie bracket that satisfies certain properties.

2. How is the Lorentz algebra related to special relativity?

The Lorentz algebra is intimately connected to special relativity, as it describes the transformations between different inertial reference frames. In special relativity, these transformations are known as Lorentz transformations, and they preserve the fundamental laws of physics.

3. What is the significance of the Lorentz algebra in particle physics?

The Lorentz algebra plays a crucial role in particle physics, as it is used to describe the symmetries of the Standard Model of particle physics. In particular, the generators of the Lorentz algebra (known as the Lorentz group) correspond to the fundamental forces and particles in the Standard Model.

4. How is the Lorentz algebra represented mathematically?

The Lorentz algebra can be represented in several ways, including as 4x4 matrices, as vector fields on spacetime, or as spinors. These representations are all equivalent and can be transformed into one another using the Lie bracket operation.

5. What are some applications of the Lorentz algebra?

The Lorentz algebra has numerous applications in theoretical physics, including in the study of general relativity, quantum field theory, and string theory. It is also used in practical applications such as particle accelerator design and high-energy physics experiments.