Replacing bremsstrahlung tubes with solid-state alternatives?

In summary: What does it matter how many molecules are left? If the majority of accelerated electrons reach the anode without collision with a gas molecule, then the electrons that reach the anode will generate radiation as if it was a perfect...vacuum.
Rev. Cheeseman
TL;DR Summary
Can we replaced X-ray or any radiation generating tubes with solid-states?
What are the reasons X-ray vacuum tubes could not be replaced by solid state alternatives?

Engineering news on Phys.org
wonderingchicken said:
What are the reasons X-ray vacuum tubes could not be replaced by solid state alternatives?
Ionising radiation destroys the crystal structure of semiconductors.

Baluncore said:
Ionising radiation destroys the crystal structure of semiconductors.

So I guess it is common sense to include some kind of chamber so the electrons can move freely instead of flowing through solids? Is that one of the reason?

wonderingchicken said:
So I guess it is common sense to include some kind of chamber so the electrons can move freely instead of flowing through solids? Is that one of the reason?
Do you understand how an X-Ray tube works ?

davenn said:
Do you understand how an X-Ray tube works ?

Is my reasoning which is "So I guess it is common sense to include some kind of chamber so the electrons can move freely instead of flowing through solids?" correct?

Not sure if this is true but I believe it works by changing electrons into bremsstrahlung radiations by putting some sort of converters inside.

@wonderingchicken It is time to do some reading.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-ray_tube#Physics
Electrons from the cathode, accelerated by an electric field, will impact the anode with an energy in eV equal to the accelerating voltage. As the electron is decelerated by the heavy metal nuclei in the target, the kinetic energy is released as photons.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bremsstrahlung

Look at the Planck–Einstein relationship between the energy and the wavelength of the photon.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck–Einstein_relation

The electrons need a clear run without intermediate collisions in order to deliver maximum energy to the target. The electron acceleration voltage must be insulated and not short circuited. That is simply not possible in a solid or a gas.

Likes Astronuc, Vanadium 50 and Rev. Cheeseman
Baluncore said:
@wonderingchicken It is time to do some reading.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-ray_tube#Physics
Electrons from the cathode, accelerated by an electric field, will impact the anode with an energy in eV equal to the accelerating voltage. As the electron is decelerated by the heavy metal nuclei in the target, the kinetic energy is released as photons.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bremsstrahlung

Look at the Planck–Einstein relationship between the energy and the wavelength of the photon.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck–Einstein_relation

The electrons need a clear run without intermediate collisions in order to deliver maximum energy to the target. The electron acceleration voltage must be insulated and not short circuited. That is simply not possible in a solid or a gas.

So what I said earlier "So I guess it is common sense to include some kind of chamber so the electrons can move freely instead of flowing through solids? Is that one of the reason?" is basically what you said "The electrons need a clear run without intermediate collisions in order to deliver maximum energy to the target. The electron acceleration voltage must be insulated and not short circuited. That is simply not possible in a solid or a gas".

Thank you very much. I'll read these links you've shared. Much appreciated.

• Skeptical
Likes davenn
wonderingchicken said:
So what I said earlier "So I guess it is common sense to include some kind of chamber so the electrons can move freely instead of flowing through solids? Is that one of the reason?" is basically what you said "The electrons need a clear run without intermediate collisions in order to deliver maximum energy to the target. The electron acceleration voltage must be insulated and not short circuited. That is simply not possible in a solid or a gas".

Thank you very much. I'll read these links you've shared. Much appreciated.
As a matter of interest, the early X-ray tubes contained a little air, which had the effect of increasing the beam current. From the Wiki page on X-ray tubes: "Crookes tubes generated the electrons needed to create X-rays by ionization of the residual air in the tube, instead of a heated filament, so they were partially but not completely evacuated".

tech99 said:
As a matter of interest, the early X-ray tubes contained a little air, which had the effect of increasing the beam current. From the Wiki page on X-ray tubes: "Crookes tubes generated the electrons needed to create X-rays by ionization of the residual air in the tube, instead of a heated filament, so they were partially but not completely evacuated".

If I'm not mistaken, it is impossible to get perfect vacuum so even for the hardest vacuum possible for vacuum tubes there are actually still gas molecules in them although the pressure is already very low. Correct?

wonderingchicken said:
If I'm not mistaken, it is impossible to get perfect vacuum so even for the hardest vacuum possible for vacuum tubes there are actually still gas molecules in them although the pressure is already very low. Correct?
What does it matter how many molecules are left? If the majority of accelerated electrons reach the anode without collision with a gas molecule, then the electrons that reach the anode will generate radiation as if it was a perfect vacuum.

Likes Rev. Cheeseman
Baluncore said:
What does it matter how many molecules are left? If the majority of accelerated electrons reach the anode without collision with a gas molecule, then the electrons that reach the anode will generate radiation as if it was a perfect vacuum.
With the early tubes the gas enabled more electrons to flow due to the ionisation resulting from collisions with gas molecules. The tubes had an arrangement to add more air as time went on as the vacuum tended to increase with time. The later hard vacuum X-ray tube was the Coolidge Tube, which had a hot cathode to emit electrons.

Likes Rev. Cheeseman

1. What are bremsstrahlung tubes and why would they need to be replaced?

Bremsstrahlung tubes are specialized X-ray tubes that use high voltage to produce X-rays. They are commonly used in medical imaging and industrial applications. They may need to be replaced due to wear and tear, malfunction, or the need for more advanced technology.

2. What are solid-state alternatives to bremsstrahlung tubes?

Solid-state alternatives to bremsstrahlung tubes include solid-state X-ray detectors, such as silicon photodiodes, scintillators, and CCDs. These detectors use semiconductor materials to directly convert X-rays into electrical signals.

3. What are the advantages of using solid-state alternatives?

Solid-state alternatives offer several advantages over bremsstrahlung tubes. They are more durable and have a longer lifespan, require less maintenance, and have a faster response time. They also produce higher quality images with better resolution and contrast.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using solid-state alternatives?

One potential drawback of using solid-state alternatives is the higher cost. These detectors are more expensive than traditional bremsstrahlung tubes. Additionally, they may require specialized training for proper use and interpretation of the resulting images.

5. Are solid-state alternatives suitable for all applications?

While solid-state alternatives have many benefits, they may not be suitable for all applications. For example, they may not be able to handle extremely high X-ray energies or large imaging areas. In these cases, bremsstrahlung tubes may still be the preferred option.