Reorganizing Math Forums: A Scientist's Perspective

• Thread starter DeadWolfe
  • Start date
In summary, the math forums are organized around courses students may take in a math curriculum, but there may be times when a topic is not active enough to warrant its own forum. If you think these are odd, you should look at scienceforums.net. DeadWolfe offers a suggestion of what subforums to create, and provides support for that organization.
DeadWolfe
I'm not sure if this is on topic, but what is with the choice of subforums that make up the math section? Is it just me, or is:

General Math
Analysis
DiffEq
Algebra
DiffGeo
Set Theory/Stats
Number Theory

A very strange subdivision of math. For starters, DiffEq should probably be put into analysis, there should definately be a topology section, Stats should be separate from Set Theory and Logic, and Combinatorics should be given a section.

Physics news on Phys.org
You know, I've often wondered about the unusual division of forums here, especially set theory + prob & stat. Combinatorics might not be enough for its own section, but it could be combined with something. I agree that topology would be a good section to have.

In any case I'm just thankful for an honest-to-goodness Number Theory forum. :cool:

I think you'll find that it is the 'linear and abstract algebra' not 'algebra' subforum. I would guess the choices were made based upon the division of courses as a generic american engineering/physics undergraduate would view them. This would account for the odd choice of 'linear and abstract algebra' being singled out from all of algebra. Anyway, there is no possibility of making all the people happy all the time on this issue.

If you think these are odd, you should look at scienceforums.net.

Last edited:
I don't think we've discussed the organization of the math forums in quite some time. It does sound like they are organized around common courses in math curricula, but since we have expanded the HW forums (last year) and all the HW questions should go there, not in the main math forums, this organization may be outdated.

Keep in mind that there are sometimes also practical considerations, such as the popularity of a topic, for whether it gets its own forum or gets lumped together with other topics.

These are the full titles of the subforums in math:

General Math
Calculus & Analysis
Differential Equations
Linear & Abstract Algebra
Tensor Analysis & Differential Geometry
Set Theory, Logic, Probability, Statistics
Number Theory

DeadWolfe, how many combinatorics threads are there currently to warrant giving it its own section?

Keep in mind that we also from time to time collapse forums together as well. If there just aren't enough posts under a topic to warrant keeping it as its own subforum, it'll get combined with something else.

So, with those criteria, that there needs to be enough sustained interest in a topic to maintain it as an active subforum, and topics that are somewhat related can be combined in order to create an active subforum where each individual one would not be active enough, AND, most importantly, that we try to keep the number of forums and subforums here a low as reasonably possible to avoid being too overwhelmingly cluttered or so narrow in focus for each subforum that discussion is hindered, would you still recommend changing the topics?

If so, please, offer your suggestions of what you would include as subforums and provide some support for that organization (i.e., relatedness of topics, activity of threads on those topics, etc.)

Also, remember that "General" in our topic headings is NOT the same as it is for courses...it doesn't mean "introductory level" but more "miscellaneous," so anything that isn't active enough to fit under a more specific subforum can and should be posted under the "general" forums.

Well, Combinatorics may be said to be a hand-maiden of Probability who actually have a life on her own as well.
So I agree with DeadWolfe it should have its own forum; perhaps a reorganization of the last to forums might be:
Set theory, Logic&Number theory
Combinatorics, Probability, Statistics.
Just a suggestion from my part.

(Not altogether happy, though, to dissociate the Prob&Stats from the set theory forum)

Alternatively, a Discrete Maths forum ought to be considered opened.

The tensor analysis/differential geomety section seems to be the least popular. Maybe this could be expanded into a more general geometry/topology section, especially since there is no obvious place to post topology questions now. Just an idea.

arildno said:
Well, Combinatorics may be said to be a hand-maiden of Probability who actually have a life on her own as well.

Probability is Combinatorics divided by n.

Is it not a nightmare to try to reorganize the subforums? I mean would you have to move all the probability posts if it split from Set Theory, Logic/etc.?

Last edited:
shmoe said:
Probability is Combinatorics divided by n.
:smile:
Agreed.
Is it not a nightmare to try to reorganize the subforums? I mean would you have to move all the probability posts if it split from Set Theory, Logic/etc.?
Possibly, but there are "only" 893 threads in the Set Theory section.
Alternatively, old Probs may be kept in the archive of the new Set section.

Related to Reorganizing Math Forums: A Scientist's Perspective

1. What is the purpose of the math forums?

The math forums are a platform for individuals to discuss and seek help on various mathematical topics. It is a place for students, educators, and professionals to connect and share knowledge and insights on math-related subjects.

2. How can I participate in the math forums?

In order to participate in the math forums, you can create an account on the forum website and start posting your questions, comments, and responses on existing threads. You can also browse through the different categories and topics to find discussions that interest you.

3. Are there any rules or guidelines for posting on the math forums?

Yes, there are guidelines that users must follow when participating in the math forums. These guidelines include being respectful to others, avoiding spam or irrelevant content, and providing clear and concise explanations or solutions when responding to questions.

4. Can I get help with specific math problems on the forums?

Yes, the math forums are a great place to seek help with specific math problems. You can post your question and other users can provide explanations, tips, or solutions to help you better understand the problem.

5. Are there any experts or professionals on the math forums?

Yes, there are many experts and professionals who actively participate in the math forums. These individuals have a strong background in mathematics and can provide valuable insights and assistance to those seeking help on the forums.