Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Reorganization of topics brought to MHB from other sites

• Admin

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
You may have noticed many of the staff is bringing questions from other sites here and posting full solutions.

We have decided to create a sub-forum under Useful Mathematics Resources, at the same hierarchical level as Math Notes, in which to place these questions from sites such as facebook, Yahoo!, etc.

This way we do not give the impression to visitors that we provide full solutions to problems in general. We do so for the problems we bring here since the OP is not a member, and is not likely to give feedback.

Last edited:

Amer

Mar 1, 2012
Good Idea

ZaidAlyafey

MHB Math Helper
Jan 17, 2013
If I am at the moment studying calculus and found a problem then I post it in yahoo. So If I was referred to this website to a (calculus section) then I would be interested to see other problems and if I do so I will most likely register in the website because there is a calculus section.

So I suggest that when you solve a problem you leave a link to the appropriate section in the forum(please visit this link if you want to post any other problems) so the OP will most likely register and post other problems in that section ...

• Admin

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
That's a good idea, Zaid! I will incorporate this into my my "procedure" for making such posts. :D

Fernando Revilla

MHB Math Helper
Jan 29, 2012
This way we do not give the impression to visitors that we provide full solutions to problems in general. We do so for the problems we bring here since the OP is not a member, and is not likely to give feedback.
I agree, that is a fundamental point.

chisigma

Feb 13, 2012
Some months ago I opened on the pre-universyty probability and statistic section a thread with the generic title 'Unsolved statistics problems from other sites' and on it I reported a great number of posts. This choice had, in my opinion, several advantages and among them to avoid dispersion of threads and create a sort of 'library' easily accessable from the users. In doing that I imposed to myself some 'ethical regulations' like...

a) a 'unsolved problem' from another site is reported not before 48 hours since it had be posted...

b) [absolutely] don't write on the other site anything regarding the fact that the problem was 'transfered' on MHB...

c) to transfer the 'unsolved problem' on MHB also in the case You aren't able to solve it, leaving to other MHB members the opportunity to do contribution...

I wonder if something like that can be extended to all sections [calculus, analysis, number theory, differential equations,...]. For example i observe that the number theory section is 'not very attended' and a thread about 'unsolved number theory problems from other sites' probably would contribute to increase its 'popularity'...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$