Magnetic Force parabolic wire

In summary: Originally posted by discoverer02 I see the light now. It's not a super bright light, but it is bright enough for me to think clearly about what's going on in the problem.What you have is this:I dx [i] X (Py2/2 [j] + Py2/√2 [k]) ...Right? (Don't go beyond this point until you get this!)Now do the cross product --- like I've been telling you! (i x j = k, etc.)Then integrate from x= -a to +a. (Don't forget: y = x2/b) And you will
discoverer02
I'm stuck on this problem. I think it's the 3D geometry that's giving me the biggest problem.

The current i exists in the direction shown (from left to right) in a parabolic wire segment whose equation is y = (x^2)/b in the XY plane between x = -a and x = +a. Magnetic flux density, given by B = py^2 and the B field lines are everywhere out of the paper making an angle 60 degrees to the +X axis and 60 degrees to the +Y axis.

a) Show that B can be written as [(py^2}/2)i + [(py^2}/2]j + [(py^2)/(2^(1/2))]

b) Find X, Y, and Z components of the total force on the wire.

Part a) was easy the projections in the x and y directions are just Bcos60 and z^2 = B^2 - x^2 - y^2.

Part b) is really giving me fits.

I know that dF(magnetic) = I(dl)Bsin(theta) and when B is perpendicular to dl life is great because dF = IdlB and the dFx and dFy are dFsintheta and dFcostheta respectively.

But I'm totally thrown by B not being perpendicular and having trouble with the 3-dimensionality of the problem.

Can someone please help me see...

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider it this way: dF = I dl X B (where X is the vector cross product)

The length of wire, dl, has components in the x and y directions.

Also, take advantage of symmetry about the y-axis. The current though the y component of a wire segment (dl) on one side of the y-axis is exactly opposite the current through the y component of the segment on the opposite side of the y-axis. What does that tell you about its contribution to the total force on the wire?

Thanks for your help, but the real problem I'm having is with the angle between B and dl, since the magnitude of dF is IdlBsin(theta).

Symmetry will make Fx = 0. So now I only have the Y and Z components to figure out.

Thanks again.

Do I need to use the direction cosines in my equation? The angle between dl and B is changing depending on where you are in the wire right?

Originally posted by discoverer02
Symmetry will make Fx = 0. So now I only have the Y and Z components to figure out.
Symmetry will make the contribution to the force due to the y-component of dl equal to zero. So all you care about is the x-component of dl.

Do I need to use the direction cosines in my equation? The angle between dl and B is changing depending on where you are in the wire right?
Yes, the angle keeps changing. But one way to attack this problem is as I suggested above. Rather than try to visualize the angle, use components and take the cross product.

I'm still stumped. I understand what you're saying about dy not contributing anything to the total force on the wire, but there's still a y component in the total force.

If I integrate the x component, I'm going to integrage for -a to +a and Fx = 0,

I have the y component of B from part a) of the problem. The y component of dl is just dy right?

So is dFy = Idly X By or |dFy| = IdlyBysin(angle between the dly and By) = IdlyBySin60.

That can't be right because Fy = [2^(1/2)Ipa^5]/[5b^2] and
Fz = [Ipa^5]/[5b^2]

I'm still stumped. I understand what you're saying about dy not contributing anything to the total force on the wire, but there's still a y component in the total force.
Yes!
I have the y component of B from part a) of the problem. The y component of dl is just dy right?
Well, yes, but: I thought we agreed that the y-component of dl does not contribute to the force? Forget about it!
That can't be right because Fy = [2^(1/2)Ipa^5]/[5b^2] and
Fz = [Ipa^5]/[5b^2]
You are correct... That can't be right!

What you have is this:

I dx X (Py2/2 [j] + Py2/√2 [k]) ...Right? (Don't go beyond this point until you get this!)

Now do the cross product --- like I've been telling you! (i x j = k, etc.)

Then integrate from x= -a to +a. (Don't forget: y = x2/b) And you will see the light!:wink:

Thanks.

I see the light now. It's not a super bright light, but it is bright enough for me to think clearly about what's going on in the problem.

I took the cross product and integrated and, low and behold, I got the correct answer.

I was thinking, incorrectly, that I should isolate both the dl and B into its components and insisting on finding the magnitude of the cross product instead of taking the actual cross product which in this case makes life much easier.

I need a lot more practice, but this is a good start.

Your help is very much appreciated. Thanks.

1. What is a Magnetic Force parabolic wire?

A Magnetic Force parabolic wire is a wire that has been shaped into a parabolic curve and is capable of producing a magnetic force when an electric current passes through it. This force is perpendicular to both the direction of the current and the magnetic field, and is used in various applications such as particle accelerators and magnetic levitation systems.

2. How does a Magnetic Force parabolic wire work?

When an electric current flows through the wire, it creates a magnetic field around the wire. The parabolic shape of the wire causes the magnetic field to be stronger at the focal point, where the wire is closest to itself, and weaker at the ends. This creates a force that pushes the wire away from the focal point, allowing it to levitate or move along a track.

3. What are the advantages of using a Magnetic Force parabolic wire?

One of the main advantages of using a Magnetic Force parabolic wire is that it can produce a strong magnetic force with a relatively small amount of current. This makes it more energy-efficient compared to other magnetic systems. Additionally, the parabolic shape allows for precise control over the direction and strength of the magnetic force.

4. What are the applications of Magnetic Force parabolic wire?

Magnetic Force parabolic wires are used in various applications such as particle accelerators, where they are used to steer and focus charged particles. They are also used in magnetic levitation systems, where the wire is paired with a superconductor to create a frictionless and stable levitation platform. Other applications include electromagnetic launchers and railguns.

5. Is there any limitation to using Magnetic Force parabolic wire?

One of the limitations of Magnetic Force parabolic wire is that it can only produce a force in one direction. This means that multiple wires are often needed to create a multidirectional force. Additionally, the wire must be made of a conductive material, and the parabolic shape must be precisely formed for optimal performance. These factors can make the production and implementation of Magnetic Force parabolic wire costly.