65 nm technology is not a problem?

• Thread starter neutron
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Technology
In summary, there has been progress in scaling technology down to 65 nm, with some manufacturers even planning to begin initial production at this size. However, there are limitations and challenges that come with making structures smaller, such as nonlinear effects and limitations in optics and materials. While Moore's Law is an observation, it does not necessarily apply to all aspects of nanofabrication. The idea of a 45 nm working MOSFET may be surprising, as there are fundamental limitations that could prevent its success.
neutron
Hi

Look here http://www.physorg.com/news52.htm

Seems that 65 nm technology is already not a problem if they plan to
begin the initial production from it!
How can that be?

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
neutron said:
Hi

Look here http://www.physorg.com/news52.htm

Seems that 65 nm technology is already not a problem if they plan to
begin the initial production from it!
How can that be?

Why is it surprising to you? It's the next step along for computer chip manufacturers. It's a factor of 2 smaller than what they were doing a few years ago.

I did some 150 nm work more than 10 years ago. The techniques have gotten robust enough for commercial applications and progressed to smaller structures.

Last edited by a moderator:
Look here http://www.eetimes.com/semi/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=19502091
Some people (and this one from IBM) say scaling is dead below 130 nm.

And if you did 150 nm work more than 10 years ago then it would hardly apply to Moore's Low which says 2 times more devices on the chip every 2 years. We must be in 30 nm range at the moment!

And do you think we can shrink optics forever?

And what if MOSFET gate oxide becomes one monolayer of material?

That's why it surprising!

neutron said:
Look here http://www.eetimes.com/semi/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=19502091
Some people (and this one from IBM) say scaling is dead below 130 nm.

And if you did 150 nm work more than 10 years ago then it would hardly apply to Moore's Low which says 2 times more devices on the chip every 2 years. We must be in 30 nm range at the moment!

And do you think we can shrink optics forever?

And what if MOSFET gate oxide becomes one monolayer of material?

That's why it surprising!

The article says the benefits from scaling have changed, and not all progress comes from that now. It doesn't say you can't make some structures smaller, or that we've hit some limit in making things smaller at 90 nm.

Moore's law is an observation, nothing more. It's not a fundamental principle of nature or anything, and was was specific to the computer industry. Not all nanofabrication is computer-related. It's not all optics-limited, either.

Realize this, the smaller we go, the more we have to worry about other effects. Yes we will run into nonlinear effects in silicon and germanium which come about due to the size of the structure, i.e. quantum dots, etc...

The reason why we haven't made great strides in scaling below 130 nm is because of the optics of the probelm. It wasn't all to long ago when the blue and ultraviolet lasers were made available.

to Swansont

Well, I see you point. But you don't see mine.

Moore's low is an observation and not a fundamental nature law.

And you can make structures smaller. But why if they won't work?

And now I'm talking about things that WORK.

45 nm WORKING MOSFET is suprising for me, because I can see all FUNDAMENTAL limitations that prevent it be WORKING.

And 45 nm NON-WORKING MOSFET is NOT surprising for me. Reasons are the same.

1. What is 65 nm technology?

65 nm technology refers to the size of the transistors used in computer chips, measuring at 65 nanometers (nm). This technology allows for smaller and more efficient electronic devices.

2. Why is 65 nm technology not a problem?

65 nm technology is not a problem because it is a well-established and widely used technology in the electronics industry. It has been around for over a decade and has been proven to be reliable and efficient.

3. How does 65 nm technology compare to newer technologies?

65 nm technology is considered to be on the lower end of the scale in terms of transistor size, with newer technologies such as 7 nm and 5 nm being smaller and more advanced. However, 65 nm technology is still widely used and can be cost-effective for certain applications.

4. What are the benefits of using 65 nm technology?

Some of the benefits of using 65 nm technology include lower power consumption, higher performance, and smaller chip sizes. It also allows for the production of a wide range of electronic devices, from smartphones to computer processors.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to 65 nm technology?

One potential drawback of 65 nm technology is that it may not be as energy-efficient as newer technologies. It also may not be suitable for certain advanced applications that require even smaller transistors. However, for most everyday electronic devices, 65 nm technology is still a reliable and efficient option.