Is Emo the Grunge of the 2000s?

• Thread starter eNtRopY
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the emo genre of music and its potential for success without being influenced by mainstream media. It is noted that many older rock acts are experiencing a comeback and there will likely not be another grunge movement. Emo is described as being focused on love life problems and there is mention of a potential rivalry between emo and boy bands. The conversation also mentions a new band formed by ex-Guns N' Roses members and Scott Weiland, and the possibility of Axl Rose's new band releasing an album.
eNtRopY
I've heard some pretty good music from this relatively new emo genre... well, at least from two bands anyway Pedro the Lion and Sleater Kinney. Anyway, I'm not that familiar with emo music because I'm too old to be an emo (that was a joke BTW), but I think there is some raw talent there that isn't yet being corrupted by the mainstream MTV types. It will be interesting to see how the story unfolds.

eNtRopY

Physics news on Phys.org
yes there is some talent there, but i think it was an offshoot of the punk genre that was more appealing to preadolescent girls, with the result of the more popular bands resembling more of a newer form of boy band than punk/rock band like they try to portray. example, watch a new found glory video, and you'll see what I'm talking about.

almost all music now is influenced in some way by mtv (excluding the music that mtv plays). a lot of underground hip-hop/rap shows a huge contrast to its mainstream counterparts. also many of the older rock acts are showing some come-back, or at least a slight bump in popularity, and they're generally established enough to do there own thing, I'm thinking of stuff like foo fighters (btw, they got a video banned), rhcp, pearl jam, and radiohead. true, they do get played on mtv, and that draws a superficial fan base, but their creativity has kept them alive.

and i don't think there will be another grunge.

So what's Emo all about then?

So what's Emo all about then?

guys singing about how much their love lives suck? and according to http://www.emogame.com, they have ovaries.

Last edited by a moderator:
Save the get up kids from steven tylers *childish phrase*! i hate it already, how can they diss a legend like steven tyler.

Last edited by a moderator:
No. If your reffering to like, Nsync type rubbish, then just know that all the grunge ppl from the 90's are plotting againts them as we speak.

Well i don't know if anyones interested in this but it would appear that the ex Guns N Roses members and Scott weiland have decided to form a band and they are pretty damn good, have a song called set me free on the HULK soundtrack, that's quite a cool song, was going to say about Axl roses new band releasing an album at the end of the year but he was supposed to do that last year, and the year before that, and the year before that, and... well u get the idea, Axl has done some really good stuff though, check out "The Blues" and "Madagascar" if you like stuff like November rain and estranged.

If they all get their **** together it will really kick ass.

1. What is the difference between emo and grunge?

Emo and grunge are two distinct music genres that emerged in the 1980s and 1990s, respectively. Emo is characterized by its emotional lyrics and melodic sound, while grunge is known for its raw, angsty sound and often socially conscious lyrics. Emo music is also associated with a more fashion-forward and sensitive subculture, while grunge is associated with a more rugged and anti-establishment attitude.

2. Is emo the same as goth or punk?

No, emo is not the same as goth or punk. While all three subcultures have elements of rebellion and nonconformity, they have distinct music styles, fashion styles, and ideologies. Goth music has a darker, more theatrical sound, while punk is known for its fast-paced, politically charged sound. Emo, as mentioned before, has a more emotional and melodic sound.

3. How did emo and grunge gain popularity in the 2000s?

Emo and grunge gained popularity in the 2000s partly due to the rise of alternative music and the decline of mainstream rock. Bands such as My Chemical Romance, Fall Out Boy, and Panic! at the Disco brought emo to the mainstream, while grunge bands like Nirvana and Pearl Jam paved the way for other grunge bands to gain recognition. Additionally, the internet and social media played a significant role in spreading the popularity of these genres.

4. Are emo and grunge still relevant today?

While emo and grunge may not be as mainstream as they were in the 2000s, they still have a dedicated fan base and influence on modern music. Many bands continue to play and evolve within these genres, and elements of emo and grunge can be heard in various genres, such as pop-punk and alternative rock.

5. What is the future of emo and grunge?

The future of emo and grunge is uncertain, as with any music genre. However, many bands continue to gain popularity and evolve within these genres, keeping them alive and relevant. Additionally, the influence of emo and grunge on modern music suggests that their impact will continue to be felt for years to come.