Heat-Equilibrium temp

• Thread starter Dx
  • Start date
In summary, the equilibrium temperature when a 270 g block of copper at 300 degrees C is placed in a 150 g Al calorimeter cup containing 820 g of water at 12 degree C is 20.2 C.
Dx
Hello,

what will be the equilibrium temperature when a 270 g block of copper at 300 degrees C is placed in a 150 g Al calorimeter cup containing 820 g of water at 12 degree C?

My answer is 20.2 C Is this correct?

I done is like so 270 * (390)*(300-T) = (820)*(900)(T-12) sorry but i forgot where I referenced this formula, I think i am confused with this problem though. It doesn't seem right to me so i thought i would ask?

Thanks!
Dx
:wink:

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Dx
I done is like so 270 * (390)*(300-T) = (820)*(900)(T-12) sorry but i forgot where I referenced this formula,

The formula is:

Heat lost by copper = Heat gained by water

Where the heat (q) transferred to/from a body is given by:

q=mC(Thot-Tcold)

m=mass
C=specific heat
Thot=higher temp
Tcold=lower temp

The problem with your solution is that you need:

Heat lost by copper = Heat gained by water and aluminum

If you include the aluminum, you will get this right.

Hi there,

The equilibrium temperature in this scenario can be calculated using the formula for heat transfer between two objects:

Q1 = Q2

Where Q1 is the heat lost by the copper block and Q2 is the heat gained by the water and calorimeter. We can set up the equation as follows:

(270g)(0.385 J/g°C)(300°C - T) = (820g)(4.18 J/g°C)(T - 12°C)

Simplifying, we get:

103.95(300 - T) = 3427.6(T - 12)

30985.5 - 103.95T = 3427.6T - 41131.2

35399.3 = 3531.55T

T = 10.02°C

So the equilibrium temperature is approximately 10.02°C, not 20.2°C as you calculated. I suggest double-checking your calculations and the formula you used. I hope this helps! Good luck with your studies.

1. What is heat equilibrium temperature?

Heat equilibrium temperature refers to the state in which two objects with different temperatures come into contact and reach a common temperature. In this state, there is no net transfer of heat between the two objects.

2. How is heat equilibrium temperature calculated?

The heat equilibrium temperature can be calculated using the formula: Te = (m1C1T1 + m2C2T2)/(m1C1 + m2C2), where Te is the equilibrium temperature, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, C1 and C2 are their respective specific heats, and T1 and T2 are their initial temperatures.

3. What factors affect heat equilibrium temperature?

The factors that affect heat equilibrium temperature include the masses and specific heats of the objects, the initial temperature difference between the two objects, and the thermal conductivity of the materials.

4. Why is heat equilibrium temperature important?

Heat equilibrium temperature is important because it allows us to understand how heat is transferred between objects and how it affects their temperatures. It also helps us determine the final temperature of a system after thermal energy has been exchanged.

5. How can heat equilibrium temperature be applied in real life?

Heat equilibrium temperature has various applications in real life, such as in cooking and food preservation, HVAC systems, and industrial processes. Understanding heat equilibrium can also help in designing efficient heating and cooling systems, as well as in predicting the behavior of materials at different temperatures.