Renaming Columns in DB Table: Apex SQL or Examine Dependenci

In summary: So I was wondering about the best way to go about this without doing any damage.In summary, it is recommended to use Apex SQL to rename databases, and to use a source of schemas for making changes to them.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi All,
Just curious as to what those with experience in creating databases believe is the best method when
renaming databases: using Apex SQL , which (supposedly) automatically checks for dependencies or
just sitting down , looking at the dependencies and doing the changes one by one as needed? This is
for a class project. Also, can anyone recommend a good source for schemas to use , maybe
make changes to (EDIT: The project is for a company)?

Likes Silicon Waffle
Technology news on Phys.org
Renaming databases is not an issue in modern RDBMSs as we work with connections in which the name of the database is an arbitrary parameter. Do you mean renaming tables and/or columns within databases?

In the real world (e.g. for a company), business logic is implemented in code which is linked to database structure. Ideally this is abstracted so that the business logic layer is separated from the data storage layer by at least one level, so alterations to the database schema need only be dealt with by altering the relevant code in the Data Access Layer (DAL)/Data Access Objects (DAO)/Object Relational Models (ORM)/whatever the paradigm you are using.

Likes jim mcnamara and WWGD
MrAnchovy said:
Renaming databases is not an issue in modern RDBMSs as we work with connections in which the name of the database is an arbitrary parameter. Do you mean renaming tables and/or columns within databases?

In the real world (e.g. for a company), business logic is implemented in code which is linked to database structure. Ideally this is abstracted so that the business logic layer is separated from the data storage layer by at least one level, so alterations to the database schema need only be dealt with by altering the relevant code in the Data Access Layer (DAL)/Data Access Objects (DAO)/Object Relational Models (ORM)/whatever the paradigm you are using.

Thanks, Anchovy, I do mean renaming within a database. I did get a warning message from my MSSQL2014 in that respect for some reason after I renamed a table within a database. And there were error messages even when I "inverted" the renaming (i.e., I gave the table the original name), I had some. And I guess we use the names DDL (Data Definition Language) and DML (Data Manipulation Language) respectively, and in this case the renaming is done within a DDL , i.e., writing code , not doing within a GUI (Graphical Interface).

Related to Renaming Columns in DB Table: Apex SQL or Examine Dependenci

What is the process for renaming columns in a database table using Apex SQL?

The process for renaming columns in a database table using Apex SQL is fairly straightforward. First, you will need to open the Apex SQL tool and connect to your database. Then, you can select the table that you want to rename the column in and right-click on it. From the context menu, choose "Alter Table" and then "Rename Column". This will allow you to specify the new name for the column and confirm the change.

Can renaming a column in a database table cause any issues with the data or functionality of the table?

In most cases, renaming a column in a database table using Apex SQL should not cause any issues with the data or functionality of the table. However, it is always recommended to take a backup of the table before making any changes, just in case. Additionally, if the renamed column is referenced in any queries or stored procedures, those will need to be updated as well to reflect the new column name.

What are some potential dependencies to consider before renaming a column in a database table?

There are a few potential dependencies to consider before renaming a column in a database table. These include any scripts or applications that use the column name, as well as any foreign key constraints or indexes that may be referencing the column. It is important to identify and update these dependencies before renaming the column to avoid any issues.

Are there any best practices to follow when renaming columns in a database table?

Yes, there are a few best practices to follow when renaming columns in a database table. As mentioned before, it is important to take a backup of the table before making any changes. Additionally, it is recommended to use a descriptive and consistent naming convention for columns. Finally, it is important to thoroughly test the table and any associated queries or stored procedures after renaming a column to ensure that everything is functioning as expected.

Is it possible to rename multiple columns in a database table using Apex SQL?

Yes, it is possible to rename multiple columns in a database table using Apex SQL. This can be done by selecting multiple columns in the "Alter Table" menu and then choosing the "Rename Columns" option. This will allow you to specify new names for all the selected columns at once.