Removing Extraneous Factors from Einstein Action

In summary, the speaker is looking to remove a field, \alpha, from the coefficient of R in an action term and redistribute it to other terms. They are unsure of how to do this and seek a reference for guidance. Another person suggests looking up "Jordan frame" and "Einstein Frame" in "Brans Dicke Theory" for a possible solution. The speaker expresses gratitude for the suggestion, but notes that it may not be possible in their specific case since they are working in 2 dimensions.
praharmitra
I have an action of the form
[tex]
\int \alpha \sqrt{g} R
[/tex]
where [itex]\alpha[/itex] is a field.
I want to do some kind of coordinate transformation, so that this term in the action becomes
[tex]
\int \sqrt{g}R + \sqrt{g}(...)
[/tex]
where (...) consists of terms containing \alpha.

So basically, I want to remove [itex]\alpha[/itex] from the coefficient of R and move it to other terms in the lagrangian. Now, I know that this can be done! (I remember this from long ago), but for heaven's sake can't figure out how!

Can anyone tell me? Just a reference would be fine.

Physics news on Phys.org
You probably want a field redefinition, not a coordinate transformation. I'd look up "Jordan frame" and "Einstein Frame" in "Brans Dicke Theory" (which contains an action like the one you write).

Sam Gralla said:
You probably want a field redefinition, not a coordinate transformation. I'd look up "Jordan frame" and "Einstein Frame" in "Brans Dicke Theory" (which contains an action like the one you write).

Yes. That's exactly what I wanted. Thanks a lot Sam. However, it turns out that this process cannot be done in 2 dimensions which is what I am working in.

Anyway thanks a lot for your help.

Related to Removing Extraneous Factors from Einstein Action

1. What is the Einstein action and why is it important in physics?

The Einstein action is a mathematical framework used in general relativity to describe the gravitational interactions between matter and energy. It is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of massive objects and their effect on the curvature of spacetime.

2. What are extraneous factors in the context of Einstein action?

Extraneous factors in the context of Einstein action refer to any additional variables or conditions that may affect the results of calculations or experiments, but are not relevant to the specific phenomenon being studied. These factors can introduce errors or bias in the data and must be carefully removed or controlled for.

3. How do scientists remove extraneous factors from Einstein action?

Scientists use a variety of methods to remove extraneous factors from Einstein action. These can include controlling experimental conditions, using statistical techniques to account for variables, or conducting multiple trials to account for variation.

4. Why is it important to remove extraneous factors from Einstein action?

Removing extraneous factors from Einstein action is crucial because it ensures that the results and conclusions drawn are based solely on the relevant variables and are not influenced by irrelevant factors. This increases the accuracy and reliability of scientific findings.

5. Can extraneous factors ever be completely eliminated from Einstein action?

While scientists do their best to remove extraneous factors from Einstein action, it is not always possible to completely eliminate them. There may always be some unknown or uncontrolled variables that could potentially affect the results. However, by acknowledging and accounting for these factors, scientists can still make meaningful and accurate conclusions.