Removing Burnt Carbon from Used Oil

In summary, the person is looking for advice on how to get burnt carbon out of used oil. They have tried all they can think of, but still can't get it all out. There is a bleach or something they can use, but it takes too long. They have also tried using hydraulick oil, but it doesn't work as well as removing the burnt carbon.
oilboil
Hi to all i would like to ask is there a way of getting burnt carbon out of the used oil i have tried all i can think of but still can't get it all out is their a bleach or some thing i can use
please don't tell me about the old trick with a rope it takes to long

Thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You can extract it with an aqueous solution of sodium silicate (42 baume) diluted somewhat. The carbon will go out with the water.

hi thank you will try the sodium out,
what about used hydraulick oil will it work the same or is their something else that will clean it

Just removing the "burnt carbon" will not make the oil suitable for use in an engine again.

yes i know this i do make biodiesel , and have a centralfuge and all the filters but the rest of thining it out for use hydraulick oil at a 50 50 or running by extra heater no problem but still can't get the black or brown stuff out not even at over 5000 r.p.m i am an engineer so i made my own machines up but i am no Genius nor perfect at this cleaning oil lol

sodium silicate may do the job but at the moment i am still trying to get some without any luck. I have an endles suppley of hydraulick oil to keep me going for a long time so i do want to waste it. so if anyone out their know were i can get some sodium silicate in derbyshire please let me know
thanks

Last edited:
Pottery shops usually have some around to make 'slip'. It is sometimes called 'egg preserver' silicate.

Hydraulic oils have lots of detergents and high pressure additives. I wouldn't try extracting it with any caustic (unless you like mayonnaise...). Some hydraulics oils are ester based rather than light petroleum oil based and would react with sodium silicate.

Thank you chemisttree for the advise i will try it see which one does the best job making a nice filtering tank wash and bubbles bath all in one
at the moment i mix it with boidiesell and normal diesel to thin it out it seems to work well full tank every week lol
anyway all the best mate to you and family will talk soon.
i shall feel better if i can clean it as well lol
my msn is tripleinktattoos@hotmail.co.uk also my email

Related to Removing Burnt Carbon from Used Oil

What is burnt carbon in used oil?

Burnt carbon in used oil refers to the accumulation of carbon deposits that occur when oil is heated to high temperatures. This can happen during the combustion process in an engine or when oil is used for cooking.

Why is it important to remove burnt carbon from used oil?

Removing burnt carbon from used oil is important as it can affect the quality and performance of the oil. It can also lead to clogging and damage in engines and other machinery.

What methods are used to remove burnt carbon from used oil?

There are several methods used to remove burnt carbon from used oil, including filtration, centrifugation, and distillation. Each method has its own benefits and limitations, and the most suitable method will depend on the type of oil and the amount of carbon present.

Can burnt carbon be completely removed from used oil?

While various methods can reduce the amount of burnt carbon in used oil, it is difficult to completely remove it. However, regular maintenance and proper filtration can significantly reduce the level of carbon deposits.

How can removing burnt carbon from used oil benefit the environment?

Removing burnt carbon from used oil can benefit the environment as it reduces the release of harmful emissions into the air. It also helps to extend the lifespan of equipment and reduces the need for frequent oil changes, which can save resources and reduce waste.