Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Remedial Power Series Work

conscipost

Jan 26, 2012
It just occurred to me now that I never asked why the Maclaurin series of $e^u$, u being some function of x, is simply $\sum\frac{u^n}{n!}$. I should say I understand why the Maclaurin series of $e^x$ is $\sum\frac{x^n}{n!}$, due to the derivative of the exponential function being itself, but why this series expansion should apply to functions of x is less clear. I've played with this expansion a little and see what might be an inductive argument, but once again its not clear. Any suggestions?

HallsofIvy

MHB Math Helper
Jan 29, 2012
It just occurred to me now that I never asked why the Maclaurin series of $e^u$, u being some function of x, is simply $\sum\frac{u^n}{n!}$. I should say I understand why the Maclaurin series of $e^x$ is $\sum\frac{x^n}{n!}$, due to the derivative of the exponential function being itself, but why this series expansion should apply to functions of x is less clear. I've played with this expansion a little and see what might be an inductive argument, but once again its not clear. Any suggestions?
Well, it isn't! Unless u is just a power of x, $\sum\frac{u^n}{n!}$ is not even a power series.

What is the Maclaurin series for $e^{ln x}$? It isn't $\sum\frac{[ln(x)]^n}{n!}$. That isn't the Maclaurin series of anything- as I said, it is not even a power series.

Because $e^x= \sum \frac{x^n}{n!}$ simple substitution gives $e^{u(x)}= \sum \frac{u^n}{n!}$ but, once again, that is not a "Maclaurin series" nor even a power series.

Last edited:

conscipost

Jan 26, 2012
Well, it isn't! Unless u is just a power of x, $\sum\frac{u^n}{n!}$ is not even a power series.

What is the Maclaurin series for $e^{ln x}$? It isn't $\sum\frac{[ln(x)]^n}{n!}$. That isn't the Maclaurin series of anything- as I said, it is not even a power series.

Because $e^x= \sum \frac{x^n}{n!}$ simple substitution gives $e^{u(x)}= \sum \frac{u^n}{n!}$ but, once again, that is not a "Maclaurin series" nor even a power series.
Is it fair to say the two are equivalent, that is $\sum\frac{[ln(x)]^n}{n!}$ and the Maclaurin series for $e^{ln x}$? If they yield the same values for all x, are they different for all said purposes? I do agree that that is not in the form of a Maclaurin series. I guess this is all an unneeded relationship when it comes down to it. I thought that the series derived for e^x had some restriction due to the fact I had derived it using the fact that the derivative of e^x is e^x. But there is nothing but a substitution at hand. It almost seemed like a leap to just substitute, but why not?

Last edited:

HallsofIvy

MHB Math Helper
Jan 29, 2012
Is it fair to say the two are equivalent, that is $\sum\frac{[ln(x)]^n}{n!}$ and the Maclaurin series for $e^{ln x}$? If they yield the same values for all x, are they different for all said purposes? I do agree that that is not in the form of a Maclaurin series. I guess this is all an unneeded relationship when it comes down to it. I thought that the series derived for e^x had some restriction due to the fact I had derived it using the fact that the derivative of e^x is e^x. But there is nothing but a substitution at hand. It almost seemed like a leap to just substitute, but why not?
I will agree with your use of the word "equivalent". By the way, the Maclaurin series for $e^{ln x}$ is just "x".

conscipost

Jan 26, 2012
I will agree with your use of the word "equivalent". By the way, the Maclaurin series for $e^{ln x}$ is just "x".
That's understood.