Relfected wave equation for free and fixed end

In summary, the conversation discusses the mathematical expression for a reflected wave and the corresponding formulas for a fixed end and a free end. The key differences are the inversion of the wave and the change in direction, which are represented by the negative signs in the equations. The individual also questions the correctness of the formula for the free end and requests assistance.
kapitan90

Homework Statement

Hello,
I have problems with expressing a reflected wave mathematically.
In my printed notes I found the following formulas for reflected waves:
a) For a fixed end: incoming wave: [tex]y_1(x,t)=e^{-i(kx+ωt)}[/tex]
reflected wave: [tex]y_2(x,t)=re^{i(kx-ωt)}[/tex] where r is the reflection coefficient.
I understand the - in front of ωt is because the wave has changed its direction, and the - in front of the whole power (before i) is because the wave is reflected.
Now for a free end: [tex]y_1(x,t)=e^{i(kx-ωt)}[/tex] it is said that [tex]y_2(x,t)=re^{i(-kx-ωt)}[/tex]

Homework Equations

Shouldn't the reflected wave for a free end in this case be:
[tex]y_2(x,t)=re^{i(kx+ωt)}[/tex] because the wave is not inverted, but it changes its direction?

Any help appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Could anyone please have a look at this problem? I thought it was quite straightforward :(

Related to Relfected wave equation for free and fixed end

1. What is the reflected wave equation for free and fixed end?

The reflected wave equation for free and fixed end is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of a wave that is reflected from a boundary. It is used to calculate the amplitude and direction of the reflected wave based on the properties of the medium and the incident wave.

2. What are the variables involved in the reflected wave equation?

The variables involved in the reflected wave equation include the amplitude and wavelength of the incident wave, the properties of the medium (such as density and elasticity), and the boundary conditions (free or fixed end).

3. How does the reflected wave equation differ for free and fixed end?

The main difference between the reflected wave equation for free and fixed end lies in the boundary conditions. In a free end, the reflected wave undergoes a phase change of 180 degrees, while in a fixed end, there is no phase change. This results in different equations for calculating the amplitude and direction of the reflected wave.

4. How is the reflected wave equation derived?

The reflected wave equation is derived using the principles of wave mechanics, including the laws of reflection and the equations for wave propagation in a medium. It can also be derived using the concept of superposition, where the incident and reflected waves are added together to form the total wave at the boundary.

5. What are the practical applications of the reflected wave equation for free and fixed end?

The reflected wave equation has many practical applications in various fields such as acoustics, seismology, and optics. It is used to analyze the behavior of waves in different media and to design structures that can withstand or manipulate wave reflections. It is also used in non-destructive testing techniques to detect flaws or irregularities in materials.