Releasing a hollow cylinder on a rotating disk

In summary: The system, the angular momentum of which is conserved, is the turntable plus the hollow cylinder. There is no external torque acting on the system; friction is internal.
archaic
Homework Statement
A uniform disk has a mass of 3.8 kg and a radius of 0.52 m. The disk is mounted on frictionless bearings and is used as a turntable. The turntable is initially rotating at 50 rpm. A thin-walled hollow cylinder has the same mass and radius as the disk. It is released from rest, just above the turntable, and on the same vertical axis. The hollow cylinder slips on the turntable for 0.20 s until it acquires the same final angular velocity as the turntable. What is the final angular momentum of the system?
Relevant Equations
##L=I\omega##
There is no net external torque since the cylinder is slipping (no friction), so the angular momentum should be conserved.
$$L_f=\frac 12MR^2\omega_i=\frac 12\times3.8\times0.52^2\times50\times\frac{2\pi\times0.52}{60}$$

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you mean "since the disk is slipping (no friction)".
Your reasoning is right, but you seem to have an extra 0.52 in there.

Likes archaic
haruspex said:
Your reasoning is right, but you seem to have an extra 0.52 in there.
Right, I should have the velocity in radians per second. Thank you.

haruspex said:
The hollow cylinder slips on the turntable

archaic said:
The hollow cylinder slips on the turntable
Yes, but with friction, or they would not converge to the same angular velocity.

Likes etotheipi
archaic said:
Right, I should have the velocity in radians per second. Thank you.
I'm not sure how that is a response to my post. What do you have as the answer now?

haruspex said:
I'm not sure how that is a response to my post. What do you have as the answer now?
$$\frac 12\times3.8\times0.52^2\times50\times\frac{2\pi}{60}$$
haruspex said:
Yes, but with friction, or they would not converge to the same angular velocity.
This actually bothered me a bit. I went with conservation of angular momentum since I saw no other way of doing the problem. Doesn't friction imply a net external torque on the disk and the cylinder?

archaic said:
Doesn't friction imply a net external torque on the disk and the cylinder?
The system, the angular momentum of which is conserved, is the turntable plus the hollow cylinder. There is no external torque acting on the system; friction is internal. This is the rotational equivalent of a one dimensional inelastic collision where two blocks collide and stick together after the collision.

Related to Releasing a hollow cylinder on a rotating disk

What is the purpose of releasing a hollow cylinder on a rotating disk?

The purpose of releasing a hollow cylinder on a rotating disk is to study the effects of rotational motion and the principles of angular momentum. This experiment can also help to understand the behavior of objects in circular motion and the relationship between rotational and linear motion.

What factors affect the motion of the hollow cylinder on the rotating disk?

The motion of the hollow cylinder on the rotating disk is affected by several factors, including the mass and diameter of the cylinder, the speed of rotation of the disk, and the friction between the cylinder and the disk. Other factors may also include the shape and surface of the cylinder and the surface of the disk.

How does the angular velocity of the disk affect the motion of the hollow cylinder?

The angular velocity of the disk directly affects the motion of the hollow cylinder. As the disk rotates faster, the cylinder will also rotate at a faster rate. This is because the angular velocity of the disk is transferred to the cylinder through friction, causing it to rotate in the same direction as the disk.

What is the relationship between angular momentum and the motion of the hollow cylinder on the rotating disk?

The motion of the hollow cylinder on the rotating disk is directly related to the principle of conservation of angular momentum. As the cylinder rotates, it gains angular momentum, and this momentum is conserved throughout the motion. This means that the total angular momentum of the cylinder and the disk will remain constant, even as the cylinder moves and changes its rotational speed.

What are some real-life applications of studying the motion of a hollow cylinder on a rotating disk?

Studying the motion of a hollow cylinder on a rotating disk has various real-life applications, such as understanding the mechanics of vehicles with rotating wheels, such as cars or bicycles. It can also help in designing and improving machinery that involves rotational motion, such as turbines and engines. Additionally, this experiment can aid in understanding the dynamics of celestial bodies, such as planets and stars, which also exhibit rotational motion.